Android Messenger Notifications Not Working? Try These 8 Methods
For a few days now, I’m not getting Facebook messenger notifications not anymore. I’m not getting Messenger notifications until I open app — and it causes me to miss so many important messages. Is anyone else facing this issue? And how do you fix it? I’d like to sort this out ASAP!”
This is a query posted by a Facebook Messenger user on the forums. Apparently, users are complaining that their Android messenger notifications not working anymore.
- Part 1: Why Am I Not Getting Messenger Notifications?
- Part 2: How to Fix Messenger Notification Not Working Android?
- Method 1: Check Notification Settings in System
- Method 2: Enable Notification Settings in the Messenger App
- Method 3: Enable "Allow background data usage"
- Method 4: Disable the "Do not disturb" Mode
- Method 5: Check If Contacts are Unmuted
- Method 6: Clear Facebook Messenger Cache
- Method 7: Update or Reinstall Facebook Messenger
- Method 8: Fix Android 11/12 Messenger Notifications Not Working with System Repair Tool
Part 1: Why Am I Not Getting Messenger Notifications?
You must be wondering why is Messenger notifications not working in the first place. Well, there could be several causes for it, and here are the top ones.
- Your notifications are turned off for Facebook Messenger.
- You may have muted the person you’re not getting notifications from.
- Your device is in DND mode.
- Your app’s background data is turned off.
- There’s a system-level glitch or faulty app installation.
Part 2: How to Fix Messenger Notification Not Working Android?
Now that you know why Facebook messenger notifications not working in the first place, it’s time to talk about the top fixes for this issue.
Without any delay, let’s get into the first fix for the android 11/12 messenger notifications not working problem.
Method 1: Check Notification Settings in System
The first thing you need to do to fix the Messenger notifications not showing issue is to check the notification settings.
- Tap and hold on to the Facebook Messenger icon on your home screen.
- Tap the App Info icon.
- Tap “Notifications”, and make sure the toggle for notifications is turned on.
Method 2: Enable Notification Settings in the Messenger App
If you’re not receiving Messenger notifications even now, you need to check the notification settings in the app itself.
- Open the Facebook Messenger app.
- Tap on your profile picture.
- Tap Notifications.
- Make sure the toggle for “Show previews” is turned on.
Method 3: Enable "Allow background data usage"
If Android messenger notifications not working even when the notifications are on, you need to check whether the app has access to use your mobile data in the background.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Network & Internet > Internet. Tap the gear icon.
- Select App Data Usage > Facebook Messenger.
Make sure Background Data is turned on.
Method 4: Disable the "Do not disturb" Mode
If your messenger push notifications not working even now, it’s possible that your phone is in DND mode.
- Pull down the Notification panel from the top of the screen, then swipe down again to expand the quick toggles.
Find Do Not Disturb mode and turn it off.
Method 5: Check If Contacts are Unmuted
If you’re not receiving messenger notifications from a certain contact only, you may have muted them accidentally.
- Open the Messenger app and find the contact.
Tap and hold on to the contact and select “Unmute” if they’ve been muted.
Method 6: Clear Facebook Messenger Cache
If Android messenger notifications not working even now, it’s time to get rid of all the temporary files that may be causing the issue.
- Tap and hold on to the app icon and select the App Info button.
Select “Clear Cache” and tap “Ok” to confirm.
Method 7: Update or Reinstall Facebook Messenger
Another way to fix the messenger notification not working issue is to delete the app and install it again.
- Open Google Play Store and find Facebook Messenger by searching for it in the search bar.
- Tap “Uninstall” and delete the app.
- Tap “Install” to install the app again.
Method 8: Fix Android 11/12 Messenger Notifications Not Working with System Repair Tool
Tried all the methods mentioned above and Android messenger notifications not working even now? Well, it’s time to try the best solution out there, and it’s called Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android.
ReiBoot can completely reinstall your Android system, helping you get rid of all the major and minor system-level bugs.
Here’s how to use it to repair your OS.
- Download Tenorshare ReiBoot from the official download page and install it on your PC.Connect your phone to the PC using a Type-C cable, and turn on USB Debugging in Developer Options.
Click “Repair Android System” > “Repair Now”.
Enter the required info about your device and click Next.
Wait for the download to complete, then hit “Repair Now”.
Hold on while the process is completed.
Now, your system has been reinstalled, and your Messenger notifications should be working fine as usual.
Many users are reporting the Android messenger notifications not working on their devices. If you’ve found yourself in a similar situation, this article has given you all the info you need to deal with it.
If you’re looking for the best method to fix the issue that works most of the time, Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android is what you’re looking for.