How to Fix the Messenger App Crashing on iPhone
One of the main problems iPhone users experienced with the early versions of the iOS 11 update was crashing apps, particularly the Facebook messenger app crashing. While a software update is one of the main causes of this problem and many users report experiencing this problem as soon as they updated their device, it is not the only cause. Failing to update Facebook Messenger itself and issues caused by incorrectly jailbreaking your iPhone can also cause Facebook Messenger and other apps to crash.
Regardless of the reason Facebook Messenger is crashing on your iPhone, you need an adequate solution that can help you get the app back on track and resume communications. This article provides you some of the most effective solutions to choose from.
1. Restart the iPhone
Sometimes a simple restart can eliminate the bug causing the app to crash and thereby fix the problem.
Follow these simple steps to restart your device;
For the iPhone X
- Step 1: Press and Hold one of the Volume buttons and the Side button until you see the slider appear on the screen.
- Step 2: Drag to turn off the iPhone.
- Step 3: Wait a few seconds and then long-press the side button until the Apple Logo appears.
For iPhone 7 and Earlier
- Step 1: Long-press either the Side or the Top button until you see the slider.
- Step 2: Drag to turn off the device
- Step 3: Press the Top or Side button again until you see the Apple Logo and the device turns on.
2. Update iPhone Software
If you updated your device and the Facebook Messenger app began to crash soon after, Apple does release updates that are designed to eliminate bugs that can cause this problem and others. Therefore, you might want to check if there is an update. If there is one, installing it may fix the problem once and for all.
Here's how to check if an update is available and how to install it;
- Step 1: Connect the device to a Wi-Fi network and ensure that it is adequately charged. If not, connect it to a power source.
- Step 2: Open the settings app on your iPhone and then tap on "General."
- Step 3: Under Software Update, check if an update is available. If it is tap "Download & Install" to install it.
Wait until the process is complete and test if Messenger is working correctly. If it is not, try our next solution.
3. Update the Messenger App
Using a Facebook Messenger app that is not up-to-date can also open up the app to bugs that can cause it to crash unexpectedly. It is therefore worth updating the Messenger app to see if that will fix this problem once and for all.
Follow these simple steps to update Facebook Messenger;
- Step 1: Open the App Store on your iPhone and then tap on "Updates" in the bottom right corner.
- Step 2: You can tap "Update All" in the upper-right hand corner to update all the apps. You can also scroll through the apps listed on this page until you find the Messenger app and then tap "Update" to update it.
Wait for the update to be installed on the device and then check if the problem has been fixed.
4. Free Up iPhone Memory Space
Another reason why your Facebook messenger app keeps crashing is a lack of sufficient memory. If you suspect this may be the case and everything you've tried so far hasn't worked, you may want to check the available storage on your device. If it is inadequate, you may want to seriously consider removing some of the apps and data such as videos and photos that are taking up a lot of space on the device.
To check the available storage on the device, go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage
Here, you should see the storage used and the available storage as well as a breakdown of the types of data taking up your device's memory. Delete some of the data if you need to.
5. Sign Out of Facebook Account and Sign In
If you are still having problems, try signing out of Facebook on your iPhone, wait a few minutes and then sign back in. This can help especially if you've just updated the Messenger app.
6. Uninstall and Reinstall Messenger
You may want to completely uninstall the Messenger app and then re-install it if none of the other solutions have been fruitful.
To uninstall the app, locate it on your home screen and long press on the Messenger app icon. Tap on the "X" that appears to uninstall it.
Now go to the App Store, find the 'Messenger" app and reinstall it on your device. Sign in and check to see if it's still crashing.
7. Fix Messenger Crash Without Data Loss
When the problem is persistent and so far no troubleshooting solution has worked, you may need a more comprehensive solution. It is possible that there is a bug in your iPhone's settings causing the issue an only a third-party app can help remove it.
One of the best tools to help you do this is Tenorshare ReiBoot. This tool is designed to fix all iPhone related problems including a device that is stuck on recovery mode, stuck in DFU mode, stuck in headphone mode or simply won't work correctly as is the case with a crashing Facebook Messenger app.
To use ReiBoot, download and install the program to your computer and then follow these simple steps;
- Step 1: Open Tenorshare ReiBoot on to your computer and then connect the iPhone to the computer using USB cables. Click on "Fix All iOS Stuck" in the main window.
- Step 2: If the system is working find and in no need for repair, the program will let you know. You can click "Fix Now" to further optimize the device.
- Step 3: Once the program can detect your device, you'll need to either download the firmware or manually import it. You can click on the "Download" button or click "Select" to import the firmware.
- Step 4: Once the download is complete, click on "Start Repair" and wait while the program repairs the device. Keep the device connected through the entire process.
- When the process is complete, the device will reboot and it should now work just fine.
So if you are constantly asking yourself, "why does my Facebook Messenger app keep closing?" this article shows you the reasons why and provides you with effective solutions to fix it. Your questions and comments are always welcome.