Google Maps Timeline Not Working? Why and How to Fix
Google Maps timeline is a handy feature that makes your life better by working in the background. If you’re a casual user, you may not even know this feature exists.
But as you’re reading this article, you’re well-versed in it. If your Google timeline not working for any reason, you may be in a dilemma wondering why that’s the case. But don’t worry. In this article, we talk about everything you need to know about this issue.
- Part 1: Why Does My Google Maps Timeline Not Working
- Part 2: 6 Methods to Fix Google Maps Timeline Not Working
Part 1: Why Does My Google Maps Timeline Not Working
There could be several reasons why your maps timeline not working. Here are some of the most prominent ones.
- You may have a faulty installation of Google Maps.
- Location History could be turned off on your device, or Google Maps may not have access to your location.
- There could be faulty code in your storage or cached files.
- There could be a bug in your device system.
Part 2: 6 Methods to Fix Google Maps Timeline Not Working
Now that you know why your Google Maps timeline may not be working, it’s time to talk about some possible solutions.
1. Restart Device
If your Google Maps timeline not working iPhone, the first thing to try is a phone restart. You see, many temporary system glitches take over your iOS system from time to time. To get rid of them, the fastest solution is to restart your device.
2. Check If You Turned on Location History
If your Google timeline not working iPhone/Android even after a restart, you should check to see whether your location history is turned on. To do that, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Select “Settings”.
- Select “Personal Content”, and make sure Location History is turned on.
If it’s not, turn it on by using the toggle.
Note that this method works for iPhones, as well as Android devices.
3. Quick Fix Google Maps Timeline Not Working Caused by System
If none of the methods mentioned above worked for you, there could be something wrong with your iOS system. Luckily, there’s an easy way to get rid of this problem — and it’s called Tenorshare ReiBoot.
ReiBoot is an application you can use to repair your system with ease. It doesn’t require you to be a tech geek as it’s easy to use. It has a detailed step-by-step users guide. Besides, it’s a great tool to enter/exit recovery mode for free with only one click.
Here’s how you can use it to reset your iOS system and fix the Google Maps timeline issue.
Download and install ReiBoot from the official download page. Open ReiBoot and connect your iPhone to the computer and select “Trust This Computer” if prompted on the iPhone. Click Start.
On the following page, select “Standard Repair”. Make sure to read all the instructions to avoid any problems.
The system will prompt you to download the latest firmware, click “Download”.
When the download is done, hit “Start Standard Repair”.
Wait for the process to complete, and you’re all set!
Now, your Google Maps timeline should work just fine on your iPhone. If it is still not, try a deep repair.
4. Clear Google Maps Cache and Data(Android)
If you’ve tried the methods above and you’re still facing the issue and wondering why my Google timeline is not working, this method may help you out.
If you’re using an Android device, there’s a feature you can use to get rid of all the buggy storage and cached files on your phone. To do that, follow the steps.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System > Apps > Google Maps.
- Select “Clear Cache” and tap “Yes” to confirm.
Select “Clear Data” and tap “Yes” to confirm.
5. Uninstall Google Maps and Reinstall
If you’re using an iPhone and your iPhone Google Maps timeline not working, you should try deleting the Google Maps and installing it again.
To do that, follow the steps.
- Find the Google Maps icon on your home screen.
- Tap and hold the icon, then select “Remove App”.
- Select “Delete App”, then tap “Delete” to confirm.
- Go to App Store, search for the Google Maps app, and install it again.
6. Sign out of Google Maps and Sign in Again
If your Google Maps timeline iPhone not working even now, the next thing you must do is remove your Google account from the device and add it again. Doing so will eliminate all the issues linked to your Google account’s sign-in process.
To remove your Google account and put it back in, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Tap your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Tap your account name at the top.
- Select “Manage accounts on this device” or "Settings".
And finally, select “Remove from this device” under the account you’re using. Or choose "Sign out of Google Maps".
- To log back in, open the same screen and select “Add another account”.
- Put in your credentials, and you’re good to go.
There you have it — this is everything you need to know about the Google Maps timeline not working issue.
Remember, if none of the first 5 methods work for you, Tenorshare ReiBoot is your best bet. It can be used to deal with Google timeline not working on iPhone issue and other all sorts of system-level bugs and glitches.