Top 6 Ways to Fix iBooks Not working on iPhone, iPad after iOS 15/14/13/12 Update
I’m getting a two page display in my books when in portrait. Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this the way it is now supposed to be or just a bug? This is annoying.
Many users are suffering from Apple Books/iBooks issues after upgrade to iOS 15/14. Common ones are: wrong portrait display in Apple Books in iPadOS 14, iBooks isn't syncing between devices, iBooks won't read PDF/ePub files, iBooks opens with a blank screen.
To help users troubleshoot Apple Books cannot connect to the bookstore, here are 6 tips and tricks.
- Way 1: Clear iBooks Cache on iPadOS 14 and iOS 15/14
- Way 2: Sign out and Sign in Apple ID Back to Troubleshoot iBook
- Way 3: Reset Privacy and Location Services
- Way 4: Reinstall Built-in iBooks App on iPadOS 14
- Way 5: Hard Reset iOS 15/14 Devices
- Way 6: Update iOS to Newest Software Version
Way 1: Clear iBooks Cache on iPadOS 14 and iOS 15/14
To deal with iOS 14 iBooks not working properly, the easiest way is to open iBooks/Books app from Home screen, and tap any option (like My Books, Features) on the taskbar below repeatedly for 10 times, and iBooks will reload itself and be refreshed with new content. If luckily, you won't have problem with iBooks app not loading or responding.
Way 2: Sign out and Sign in Apple ID Back to Troubleshoot iBook
If it's the case that iBooks cannot access library after update to iOS 14, or iBooks not working on iPhone and iPad, you can try to log out your Apple ID for purchasing in Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out, then log in after a while to see if it helps.
Way 3: Reset Privacy and Location Services
Situations may also happen that iBooks shows blank screen after iOS 11/12 update, and some users successfully fixed in this way. Go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Reset Location & Privacy. Enter you passcode to proceed. After that all apps will stop using location until you grant the access permission.
Way 4: Reinstall Built-in iBooks App on iPadOS 14
Along with iOS 14, you can remove some built-in apps from iPhone or iPad, so when iBooks keeps crashing iOS 14, you might as well uninstall the program and redownload it from App Store. Hold the iBooks app icon till it wiggling and tap the little X to delete it. All purchased books including PDFs, ePubs, Audiobooks can be regained after enabling iCloud services, not including these books acquired from other sources though.
Way 5: Hard Reset iOS 15/14 Devices
After iPadOS 14 or iOS 14 update, find Apple Books doesn't working? A hard reset somehow will be helpful, which is also known for Recovery Mode.
- Press both power button and Home button for about 10 seconds until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
- Replace the Sleep/Wake button with volume down button on iPhone 7/7 Plus/8/8 Plus/X/11/11 Pro.
- When you device reboots, you may be able to fix iBooks search not working on iPad and iPhone. For rebooting other iPhone brands, check How to restart different brands of iPhone.
Way 6: Downgrade iPadOS 14 or iOS 14 and Upgrade iOS 14/iPadOS 14 Again
Should you still not able to fix the problems like cannot read iBooks on iPhone/iPad, iBooks app not connecting or responding, etc, the ultimate solution is to downgrade to the newest iOS 14 or iPadOS 14, and update iOS 14/iPadOS 14 again. You can directly update iOS in Settings > General > Software Update or let iTunes update it.
The Bottom Line
Some users also shared with use how they solved iBooks app not working after iOS 14 upgrade by below methods, which can also be taken into consideration.
- Reset Language.
- Make data and time are correctly set in Setting > General > Data & Time.
- Open a link to iBooks Store pages in Safari and click on it.
- Go to Settings > Safari and change enable Block All cookies.
- Turn off iCloud service for iBooks app.
- Toggle all options about iBooks in Settings to off.
- Go to iTunes and search for a book. Click sample then click on Store on the top right corner.
- Contact Apple support center for help.
Hope you are lucky to repair iBooks with all methods provided. If you have any better solutions, please share out via the comments below and help more people.