iPad Passcode Not Working? How to Unlock
Passcodes are easily forgotten when they are newly set or haven’t been used for a while. Even you remember the passcode, it sometimes may not work, leaving you locked out of your iPad. If you have the same problem, do not worry. There are solutions for iPad passcode not working. All these methods will be explained here to get you access back to your iPad.
- Part 1: Why iPad Passcode is Not Working
- Part 2: 4 Ways to Fix iPad Passcode Not Working
- Part 3: FAQs on iPad Passcode Not Working
Part 1: Why iPad Passcode is Not Working
First of all, let’s understand why your iPad is not accepting the passcode all of a sudden. There are several reasons and we have listed some common issues:
- Incorrect Passcode – You might enter wrong passcode without realizing. Ensure that you are typing in the correct digits and try again.
- Software Glitches – Problems in the iPadOS might cause iPad passcode not working. You can try a force restart.
- iOS Update – A glitch while updating the OS could be the reason. Many users say iPad passcode is not working after update.
- Disabled iPad – If you enter the wrong passcode multiple times, iPad could get disabled, preventing you from any more attempts.
- Someone else changed your passcode but you do not know about it.
- Sudden unknown bugs could also cause this problem.
Part 2: 4 Ways to Fix iPad Passcode Not Working
In many cases, the passcode on iPad not working problem can be solved by restarting the iPad or retrying the passcode. But if that doesn't work, or you forgot the passcode and your iPad has been disabled, then there are 4 methods that we can go over:
1. Directly Erase iPad Passcode If Not Working (iPadOS 15.2 and later)
In iOS/iPadOS 15.2 and later including iPadOS 17, it is able to erase the device on the lock screen directly without passcode. All you need is the Apple ID and its password that is logged in on your iPad.
- First of all, to see iPad unavailable screen with Erase iPad or Forgot passcode option, enter the wrong passcode a few times.
Once you see the Erase iPad option, tap on it, and on the next screen, confirm your choice.
- Enter the password of your Apple ID logged in, and this will erase all data including the not-working passcode from your iPad.
2. Unlock iPad Passcode with 4uKey
When iPad passcode is not working, and you are unable to unlock your iPad by Erase iPad method, we recommend using Tenorshare 4uKey. It can remove all sorts of screen locks (passcode/Face ID/Touch ID) from your iPhones and iPads. Just follow the directions below to remove the unusable passcode:
Having installed 4ukey on your computer, run the program and click on Start.
Connect your iPad to it properly and move on to download the firmware package.
Click on Start Remove after the download completes. It will take a few minutes. Keep your devices connected in the process.
After that, your iPad passcode is removed and it will restart as a brand new device.
3. Restore iPad without Passcode by iTunes
iTunes is the third answer when iPad passcode is not working. It is not only a data backup tool, but also an option to restore your iPad when passcode is forgotten or unavailable. And you might face two cases as below:
- If your computer has been trusted by your iPad, just connect your iPad with the computer and launch iTunes.
Locate your iPad and click on Restore iPad. This will erase all data and remove the passcode too.
- If iTunes on your computer cannot recognize your iPad, then put your iPad in recovery mode after connecting it to iTunes.
A pop up on iTunes says iPad is in recovery mode, Click on OK and then restore it.
4. Erase iPad Passcode in iCloud Website
The last solution we have is to use the Find iPhone feature in the iCloud website, which remotely wipe the iPad and remove the passcode. Similarly, it needs your Apple ID and password.
- On your computer or another device, log in to Find iPhone on iCloud.
Go to the All Devices tab, and locate your iPad and click on it.
- You will see a few options under your iPad. Click on Erase iPad. Enter your Apple ID to confirm this action.
Part 3: FAQs on iPad Passcode Not Working
1. Is it possible to unlock an iPad without Apple ID and password?
Yes, it is possible to unlock your iPad without Apple ID. Not only iTunes but also Tenorshare 4uKey do not need Apple ID on your iPad to get it unlocked.
2. What happens if you fail 10 passcode attempts?
When you fail 10 consecutive passcode attempts on your iPad, your iPad will be disabled and show the message “iPad disabled Connect to iTunes”. Additionally, it might also say iPad Unavailable and lock you out for one hour.
3. What is the default passcode for iPad?
By default, there is no passcode set on a new or reset iPad. You can set one by yourself. And some easily guessed default passcode are like 000000, 111111, 123456, 1234.
Forgetting passcode is common, but forgetting your passcode means you can't access your iPad. What's even worse is that the iPad passcode is not working for no reason. We can resolve this passcode problem either by Erasing iPad from the lock screen, using iTunes, Tenorshare 4uKey or Find My in iCloud. Highly recommend 4uKey iPad unlocker.