There are times when users need to switch carriers due to various reasons such as: going abroad, living in the area with poor receptions, want to change to cheaper providers, etc. Having a locked iPhone won’t make it easier for you to switch carrier. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to unlock your iPhone, even without the SIM card.
One important and necessary step in the unlocking your iPhone step is to insert the non-accepted SIM card into your iPhone before connecting it to the internet (either via Wifi or iTunes on an internet-connected computer). But what if you don’t have the SIM card? You still can unlock the iPhone, but there are several extra steps that you need to do.
1. Start by backing up your iPhone - You can use iCloud or iTunes for backup. But if you are in the area where wireless connection to the internet is not reliable, it’s better to use iTunes. Open iTunes on your computer, connect the iPhone and select it in iTunes, then click Backup Now.
2. After the backup is complete, erase the device by going to Settings - General - Reset - Erase All contents and settings menu on your iPhone. Please note that you would need to enter your passcode before you could continue with the process.
3. After the device is completely erased, which will take some time to finish, you will go back to the set-up screen. Complete the setup process, and you are ready to restore the iPhone.
4. Launch iTunes on the computer where you keep your backup from the first step, connect the device and select Restore Backup in iTunes.
5. Choose the backup that you want to restore and click Restore.
6. Wait for the process to complete and don’t disconnect the iPhone until everything is finished. Depending on how big the size of your backup, the restoring process could take a couple of hours to complete. Congratulations! Your iPhone is unlocked and ready to use.
Looking at how tedious the unlocking process without SIM card, it’s advisable that you wait until you have the new SIM card ready before you began unlocking your iPhone.
Or, to simplify the process, you could save yourself the time and trouble using iPhone data recovery app like Tenorshare’s iCareFone that will make the process of backing up and recovering your iPhone data a breeze.
Unlocking your iPhone with SIM is a more simple process. There are two options that you can choose. Let’s look at them one by one.
The easiest and the most recommended method is to get help from your carrier to unlock your phone. They might hesitate to do that, and you might have to go through hoops in the process; but as long as you give them the solid reason, you will get it done. Please note that if you are under unfinished contract, you might have to pay the penalty.
Each and every carrier has different policy and way of work, so it’s difficult to describe them one by one. So do your research then visit the customer service center and start from there.
Some online SIM Unlock services such as UnlockRiver can help you unlock your iPhone. Their service is not cheap, but if you need to unlock your iPhone and you have no other option that you can use, it’s worth paying the fee.
To use the service, you need to prepare few things:
So we have listed the way to unlock iPhone with or without SIM card. If you think it is helpful, share this article with your friends.