An Update is Required to Activate Your iPhone? You Can Fix Right Now
Recently, I updated my iPhone to the new version, but I still received this error, "An update is required to activate your iPhone” what should I do? Do I have to update my iPhone again, or is there any other way to remove this error? Also, this error is not allowing me to enter into Settings. This is a common error and can be resolved by following a few simple techniques. Read the details below to find out the quick solution.
- Part 1. Why Does My iPhone Say an Update is Required to Activate Your iPhone?
- Part 2. 3 Useful Ways to Fix an Update is Required to Activate Your iPhone
- Part 3. Contact Apple If "unable to activate an update is required" is Caused By Hardware
- Also Wonder: How to Get Rid Of Activation Lock on Your iPhone/iPad?
Part 1. Why Does My iPhone Say an Update is Required to Activate Your iPhone?
If your iPhone is unable to activate and an update is required to activate your device, there can be many reasons for it. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Your network connection is weak.
- The device that you are using is locked by the old user.
- iTunes is unable to recognize your device.
- The iPhone server is down because of the busy network.
- You haven’t inserted the SIM card properly.
These are the possible reasons why your iPhone says an update is required to activate the iPhone. However, if you want to resolve this problem, we have mentioned some quick ways that will save you a lot of time. Continue reading to find the solutions.
Part 2. 3 Useful Ways to Fix an Update is Required to Activate Your iPhone
So, if you have some problems above and cannot activate your iPhone, then you can always get them resolved through the follwing solutions.
Way 1. Power Off Your iPhone and Reinsert Your SIM Card
If you are unable to activate and an update is required to activate your iPhone 6/11/X, the simplest way is to power off your iPhone and reinsert the sim card again. Sometimes, it happens that your device couldn’t recognize the SIM card because of an incorrect slot. Therefore, make sure that your SIM card is placed properly. In case you get the same error, check whether it is compatible with your device or not. By chance, this method didn’t work for you, don’t panic because we have more solutions to resolve your issue.
Way 2. Update Your iPhone Using iTunes or Mac
Are you unable to activate the iPhone because an update is required to activate it? You can fix this issue by updating your iTunes and Mac. Follow the steps below to complete this process.
Update iPhone Using iTunes
- First, restart your PC and open iTunes. Make sure to have the latest version.
- Now, connect your device with a PC using the correct USB cable.
- After that, click the iPhone icon by selecting the iPhone option.
Now, click “Summary” and select the “Update” option.
- If you are using a Mac, connect your device to Mac, and firstly visit Apple Menu.
- After that, go to "System Preferences" and select the “Software Update” option.
You have successfully updated your device using Mac.
- Connect your iPhone with your PC and open iTunes.
Once the device is recognized, you have to restart your iPhone. And go to recovery mode. We have mentioned the steps below to enter into recovery mode.
iPhone 8 or Later:
- Press and release both volume up and volume down simultaneously.
- After that, hold the on/off button until you see the recovery mode option.
- Don’t release it until you see the recovery screen.
iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- To enter the recovery mode, you have to press and hold the volume down and side buttons. Make sure to press the buttons together.
- Don’t release the option until the recovery mode screen appears.
iPhone 6 or Earlier
If you are using iPhone 6 or earlier, hold the side and home button at the same time until you get the recovery mode screen. Make sure not to release the screen until you get the recovery mode option.
- Once you have entered into recovery mode, you will get two different screen options: Update and Restore.
Since we need to update the iPhone to solve the error, so select the “Update” option and follow the instructions provided on the screen.
Part 3. Contact Apple If "unable to activate an update is required" is Caused By Hardware
If an update is required to activate iPhone 7, it’s possible that your device is facing any technical issues. To resolve this problem, you can contact Apple. Even Apple has also mentioned in the forum that some iPhone 7 devices might face issues due to a hardware problem. In case you are receiving the error regularly, it’s a good idea to contact Apple support.
Also Wonder: How to Get Rid Of Activation Lock on Your iPhone/iPad?
In case you have locked your iPhone or want to remove the activation lock, you can use Tenorshare 4MeKey from Tenorshare. Whether you want to unlock your Apple ID or password, this program is the right choice for you. Below is the complete on how to get rid of the Activation lock on your iPhone or iPad.
A Video Tutorial: How to Remove iCloud Activation Lock iPhone/iPad with 4MeKey
Download the application on your computer. After installing, you will see the “Remove iCloud Activation Lock” option; click it.
Make sure to read all the instructions carefully before you use this tool and click the “Next” option.
In the next step, you have to connect your iPhone with Mac using the USB Device.
Once the connection is established, you will be asked to jailbreak the device; otherwise, you won’t be able to remove the activation lock. Keep in mind that jailbreak is different for Mac and Computer. Follow the instructions on the screen to jailbreak the device.
Now, confirm your device information and select the “Start Remove” option.
On the screen, you will see a status bar that will show the progress of the activation lock.
Now the bypass process has been completed; you can use your device easily. Also, don’t forget to read the warnings on the screen.
Once the jailbreak is done successfully, you will get a step-by-step guide on the screen to boot into a jailbreak.
This method will hopefully help you to solve the "Unable to activate iPhone an update is required to activate your iPhone” error too.
These were all the ways that you can use to remove unable to activate an update is required to activate your iPhone error. However, if you want to unlock your device, we recommend using 4MeKey, which is an authentic application and works perfectly for beginners.
Update Using Mac
If updating the iPhone didn't work for you, don't worry; we have third method for you as well.
Way 3. Put Your iPhone into Recovery Mode to Update and Restore on iTunes
The last way is to enter your iPhone into recovery mode, and for that, you can follow the steps below.