How to Restore Backup That is Newer Than iOS on iPhone 12/13
Can’t restore 15 b4 backup to iPhone 12/13. Ideas? Going from 8 plus to 13 with Apple Watch 5. If I can’t restore a iOS 15 beta versioned backup to iOS 14.1, would setting up new phone and adding it to beta program work? Assuming it will install the same beta version. Or should I just wait for 14.2 final?
-- From Reddit
It is possible that you install pre-released beta iOS 15 beta on your previous iPhone. But it becomes an issue when you buy a new iPhone model such as iPhone 12 mini/12/12 Pro(Max)/13, as you won’t be able to restore your new iPhone directly from the backup of the iOS 15 as the new iPhone 13 will be running on iOS 15, which is older.
This situation can happen to anyone - and thankfully, we have various solutions to help you get through it. So, if you are looking for answers to how to restore to backup that is newer than iOS, read the article carefully.
- Part 1: Can I Restore a Backup from a Newer iOS?
- Part 2: Restore iOS 15 Beta Backup to iPhone 13 with iCareFone
- Part 3: Install the Same iOS beta on the New iphone 13/iPad Air 4
- Part 4: Set Up iPhone 13 as New and with Same Apple ID
Part 1: Can I Restore a Backup to an Older iOS?
- Technically yes, you can restore a backup made with an newer iOS version to a earlier iOS version.
- The process of restoring the backup won't put the newer iOS version back to your new device.
For that, you have to follow the below step-by-step guide to learn how to restore from a newer iOS.
Part 2: Restore iOS 15 Beta Backup to iPhone 13 with iCareFone
Tenorshare iCareFone provides the easiest method to restore iOS 15 beta backup to iPhone 13 within just a few minutes. You don’t have to waste time in implementing various methods and undergo hit and trial procedure to restore your new iPhone.
Users can have following advantages while restoring iPhone using iCareFone:>
- You can preview the previous backup
- You can restore the selected files
- You don’t have to worry about data loss.
- It supports all iPhone models including the latest iPhone 12 mini/12/12 Pro(Max)/13.
Now, follow the below steps to restore iOS 15 beta backup to iOS 14.1 on your iPhone 13.
First of all, install iCareFone on your Computer and connect iPhone 13 to it. When it is detected by the program, hit on Backup & Restore option from the top tab.
Now, the program will display a screen showing various file types. Just click on the ‘view or restore your previous backup’ option in the bottom left corner and it will show the back files created on your computer.
Click on the backup file you want to restore and the program will display all the files in that backup.
Now, you need to mark the files you want to restore and choose if you want to extract them to your computer or iPhone 13 and select the option accordingly. It’s vital to mention that iCareFone can restore photos, videos, audios, bookmarks, music, and contact files directly to your iPhone.
Part 3: Install the Same iOS beta on the New iphone 13/iPad Air 4
One alternative to restoring iOS 15 beta to your new iPhone 13 is by installing the same beta iOS 15 on your iPhone 13. In this way, both the new and old devices would have the same iOS version and you can easily restore the data. To install beta iOS 15:
- Login with your previous Apple ID but don’t restore anything from iCloud yet.
- Now, go to the official page of Apple Software Beta Program and sign up with your Apple ID.
- Then, you will enter a new page where you need to click on “enroll your iOS Device” option.
- Then, install the given profile and restart your iPhone.
- When the iPhone 13 reboots, go to Settings > General > Software Update and here you will see the latest iOS 15 beta update.
- Now, to install this update, you have to erase all the data on your new iPhone. For that, go to Settings > General > Reset > and tap on Erase All Contents and Settings. Confirm your action on the pop-up window and your device will erase everything and will restart.
Now, as you start setting again your iPhone, you will see the latest backups installed on the system. Install them and bang, you just got access to the previous data and your hard work paid off.
You can assess yourself how complicated and time-taking this method is. Still, it is a viable solution for people who need it done anyway and helps you get access to the data stored on newer iOS backup.
Part 4: Set Up iPhone 13 as New and with Same Apple ID
Another method you can use to restore iOS 15 is by setting up iPhone 13 as new device. You don’t have to install a beta iOS version on iPhone if you’re using this method.
It may sound technical but you can easily do it by following the below steps:
- Login with the same Apple Id you were using in the previous iPhone.
- iCloud will access all the passwords stored in Keychain and in this way, you will get access to all the texts, bookmarks, notes, photos, and any subscriptions.
- Keychain also stores all the usernames and passwords. So, you can access to any account you were using previously.
- You can also go to the purchased option in the App Store and reinstall any third-party software, games, or any app you have bought or installed earlier.
In short, this method helps you get access to the majority of important files without going through a complicated and lengthy process.
This article is structured to provide all the relevant guidelines to the users who have bought new iPhone 13 and searching for how to restore to backup that is newer than ios. The abovementioned 3 methods help you restore iOS 15 backup to iPhone 13 with newer iOS.
Even though all three methods are viable and provide satisfactory results, but if you want to save time and energy, just head to Tenorshare iCareFone website and use this multifunctional software to restore newer iOS backup without technical complications.