3 Easy Ways to Fix iTunes Backup Corrupt or Not Compatible
“What does it mean when backup was corrupt? I tried to restore iPhone in iTunes but only got a message saying the backup is corrupted. How can I fix corrupted iPhone backup.”
Recently, some people have complained that when restoring or backing up iPhone in iTunes, an error message pops out saying iTunes backup is corrupt or not compatible. The causes of this error can be backup failure or iOS system incompatibility. Here we list you 3 effective methods to fix iTunes backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone error completely.
- Method 1: Delete Corrupted iPhone Backup in iTunes
- Method 2: Repair iTunes with Free Tenorshare TunesCare and Backup Again
- Method 3: Extract and Restore iPhone Backup with An iTunes Alternative
If you see the message “iTunes could not backup/restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone/iPad” on your Mac or Windows computer, delete backup file and create a new backup in iTunes.
- Launch iTunes in your computer and click Edit -> Preferences. For Mac users, click “iTunes” at the upper left corner.
- Select “Devices” and you’ll see a list of backups you have created in iTunes. Choose the incompatible or corrupted one and click “Delete Backup”.
- Now connect iPhone to computer and back up the device again.
Sometimes when backing up iPhone in iTunes, some errors might occur but iTunes didn’t show any notices. You thought the backup is fine but actually it is corrupted due to iTunes problems. With a free tool named Tenorshare TunesCare, you can fix any iTunes syncing or backing up errors efficiently.
- Download and install Tenorshare TunesCare on computer, run the software and click “Fix All iTunes Issues” from the interface.
- Now click “Repair iTunes” and the software will start downloading the repair drives for iTunes.
- When the downloading process completes, Tenorshare TunesCare will automatically start to repair your iTunes. When repair successfully, backup and restore iPhone in iTunes again.
Well, if you unluckily failed to repair “iPhone could not backup because backup was corrupt” error with the methods above and the backup data is really important for you, then try to extract the backups with Tenorshare iCareFone. This multi-functional tool is not able to help you restore all backups from iTunes, but also allow you to selectively back up iPhone files.
- Download and install Tenorshare iCareFone on Mac or PC. Launch the program and connect iPhone to computer. Select "Backup & Restore" once the device is detected.
- Click “To view the previous backup files” in the bottom left corner and the software will list out all the backups in iTunes. Click the Restore icon to get back your data within minutes.
Now you have learnt how to fix corrupted iPhone backup file clearly. If you have other similar questions like iTunes backup not showing, iTunes backup is greyed out etc. don’t hesitate to contact us.