iPhone Recovery Mode Doesn’t Work - How to Fix
by Jenefey Aaron Updated on 2021-01-29 / Update for iPhone Fix
The Recovery Mode is the most important feature of an iOS device. Almost every aspect of the device is dependent on the Recovery Mode. Without the Recovery Mode, you won't be able to update/Restore the iOS. So, there are some effective solutions mentioned below in the article if iPhone Recovery Mode not working, read them carefully.
How to Fix iPhone Recovery Mode Won't Work
- Solution 1: Update iTunes
- Solution 2: Force Restart iPhone
- Solution 3: Use iTunes Alternative ReiBoot - Fix iphone wont go into recovery mode and restore iPhone
- Solution 4: Use DFU Mode Restore
Solution 1: Update iTunes
If iPhone Recovery Mode doesn't work then your first solution should be updating the iTunes app. iTunes is one of the most important apps. It was designed by Apple to deal with the problems regarding iOS. So, you need to update the app and possibly the problems will get fixed. You need to follow a few particular steps if you wish to update iTunes to its latest version; the steps are discussed below:
Updating iTunes on Mac
- Step 1: Go to your Mac and launch the App Store app.
- Step 2: Navigate to "Updates" and then MacOS will start to look for available iTunes updates.
- Step 3: If available, then click "Update".
Updating iTunes on Windows
- Step 1: Open your Windows PC and download the iTunes app from Apple Website.
- Step 2: Then, run the iTunes app and click on "Help" then "Check for Updates".
- Step 3: If an update is available then click "Install".
- Step 4: If you have downloaded the iTunes app from the Microsoft store then it will be updated automatically.
Most of the problems regarding the function of the iTunes app get fixed after an update. So, it's worth a try!
Solution 2: Force Restart iPhone
Even after the software update, iPhone Recovery Mode won't work, you can try fixing it by Force Restarting the device. The Force Restart is capable of fixing minor problems. The procedure varies depending on the model of iPhone you are using, and they detailed below:
Force-restart iPhone 6 or previous models of iPhone or iPad: Press and hold the Power button along with the Home button. Release the buttons when the Apple Logo is visible.
Force Restart iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Hold the Power button with the Volume Down button. Release when you see the Apple Logo.
Force Restart iPhone 8, X and later: Tap and release the Volume Up button and then Volume Down button. Then, hold the Power button until the Apple Logo can be seen.
Solution 3: Use iTunes Alternative ReiBoot
If your iPhone won't go into Recovery Mode, you can try to repair the iOS with free recovery mode software ReiBoot. It is a third-party iOS repair tool that can put iPhone into recovery mode and restore iphone without data loss. This is obviously a superior option than Factory reset, as you can keep your data intact. The procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Download the program from the Internet and then install it on your computer.
Step 2: Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable and launch ReiBoot.
Step 3: Go to the main interface of ReiBoot and select "Enter Recovery Mode" or "Repair Operating System", followed by "Start Repair".
Step 4: Then, you have to download the firmware for the procedure; so, click "Browse" to choose a path and then tap "Download".
Step 5: After the firmware is downloaded, click "Repair Now" to get the device fixed.
Finally tap on the Repair Now button and the repair process will be initiated.
Solution 4: Restore in DFU Mode with iTunes
Another very effective option is restoring your stuck iPhone in DFU mode using iTunes. But keep in mind, it is difficult and it will erase all the files from your iPhone. You have to put the device into DFU Mode and then restore it with iTunes, but only use this method if there is no other option left for you to use.
Step 1: Update the iTunes to its latest version and connect the device to the computer.
Step 2: Launch the iTunes app.
Step 3: Now, put the iPhone into DFU Mode, the steps are listed below:
- iPhone 6/6s: Hold the Power and the Home button at the same time for 8 seconds. Then, let go of the Power button but keep holding the other button until the screen is black.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus : Hold the Power button and the Volume Down button at the same time for 8 seconds. Then, just keep holding the Volume button until the screen turns black.
- iPhone 8, X and others: Quick tap Volume Up button and then Volume Down button. Then, just hold the Power button until the screen turns black.
Step 4: After putting the iPhone into DFU Mode you will get a message that iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode.
Step 5: first, tap the "OK" button then tap on "Restore iPhone" from the main interface of iTunes.
This is your final option! The DFU Mode is used by the professionals at the Apple Support Centre and should be your last resort!
So, if the Recovery Mode is not working on your iPhone then you have the best fixes for that, discussed in the article. The simple fixes like updating iTunes or Force-Restart work most of the times but if they are failing to fix the situation then your next best option would be to use ReiBoot(support new ios 12). It is much safer than using DFU Mode. Highly recommended!