WhatsApp Status Not Showing? Fix It in 7 Ways
by Jenefey Aaron Updated on 2023-03-17 / Update for WhatsApp
WhatsApp Status is not only the words next to your name for announcing things. You can now post status in the form of texts, photos and videos and share them with all your contacts. But sometimes you might not be able to share stuff or miss out your friends' status updates because WhatsApp Status not showing.
Here we will explain why Status is not showing in WhatsApp and provide multiple tips to fix this error. Let's get started.
- Part 1: Why WhatsApp Status is Not Showing
- Part 2: How to Fix Status Not Showing in WhatsApp
- Part 3: FAQs on WhatsApp Status Showing
- Extra Tips: How to Recover Deleted Messages from WhatsApp
Part 1: Why WhatsApp Status is Not Showing
Status not showing in WhatsApp could be due to a variety of reasons. Some of the causes are listed below:
- Status disappears after being posted 24 hours.
- If you have not saved the contact's phone number, you will not view their status. Same goes for the other person.
- It is possible that status updates are muted in WhatsApp settings.
- The status updates of a blocked contact will not be visible.
- There are several privacy settings for status you set that cause WhatsApp status not showing.
- Old WhatsApp version that need updating.
- Network issues.
Part 2: How to Fix Status Not Showing in WhatsApp
Let’s move on towards the part you have been waiting for. And that is how to fix WhatsApp status not showing. Depending upon what is causing this WhatsApp status issue, we collect 7 different methods and tips.
- 1. Save Phone Number and Message the Contact
- 2. Unmute Status Update
- 3. Don't Block Others or Be Blocked by Others
- 4. Check Privacy Settings
- 5. Turn on Read Receipts
- 6. Update WhatsApp to the Latest Version
- 7. Restart WhatsApp and Your Phone
1. Save Phone Number and Message the Contact
Like what we have said, you need to save the phone number of someone whose status you want to see on your phone. After saving the number, also start a chat and message them. In this way, you will see their status updates and WhatsApp not showing status problem is solved.
2. Unmute Status Update
A certain contact’s status updates might have been muted by you in the past and you forget about it. So you won’t see the status update. To view them normally, you just need to unmute them.
- For both Android and iPhone users, open WhatsApp and head to the Status tab.
Scroll down to find the Muted Updates section.
- Tap and hold the status you want to unmute. Then tap on Unmute to confirm.
And vice versa, you have to be unmuted by others if others' WhatsApp status is not showing to you.
3. Don't Block Others or Be Blocked by Others
For my WhatsApp status not showing to others, check if you have blocked others. And others WhatsApp status not showing to me? You might have been blocked. Thus, unblocking someone on WhatsApp or being unblocked to fix status not showing in WhatsApp.
Related Read: How to know if someone block me on WhatsApp
4. Check Privacy Settings
Besides being blocked and unmuted, WhatsApp status can be selectively shown or not shown to specific contacts you choose. Let's check privacy settings to ensure that you haven’t excluded people.
- In the Status tab, tap on Account > Privacy on iPhone (tap on the three dots and then go to Privacy on Android), then choose who will see your status updates.
Or you can directly go to WhatsApp Settings, find Privacy, and then tap on Status.
5. Turn on Read Receipts
After you post a status, it is able to see who has already seen it with Read Receipts setting. For WhatsApp status seen but not showing, turn on Read Receipts in WhatsApp Settings > Account > Privacy.
6. Update WhatsApp to the Latest Version
Finally, there are two general solutions to most WhatsApp problems. One is to update WhatsApp on your phone. See if there is a new available version. Yes? Then you should definitely update your WhatsApp to fix status not showing in WhatsApp.
7. Restart WhatsApp and Your Phone
The other is to restart WhatsApp and then further restart your phone. A lot of times, when no fix is working for status not showing in WhatsApp, simply restarting the app and device can fix them not funtion well.
Part 3: FAQs on WhatsApp Status Showing
1. Can someone see your status without you knowing?
Your contacts see your status but you do not know. It is possible when you do not turn on Read Receipts like what we have said above. Other tricks include using WhatsApp Web.
2. Can we know how many times someone viewed WhatsApp status?
WhatsApp allows you to know who view your status, but it doesn’t tell you how many times someone views your status.
3. Does status disappear when blocked?
Yes. If a contact is blocked, they will not be able to see any personal information from status to profile picture.
4. How to hide WhatsApp Status?
On your WhatsApp, go to Settings > Account > Privacy > Status. Tap on My contacts except and select whoever you don't like. Then your WhatsApp status will be hidden from them.
Extra Tip: How to Recover Deleted Messages from WhatsApp
Here is an extra tip for WhatsApp users who accidentally delete WhatsApp messages and want to get them back. To recover deleted messages from WhatsApp without backup, resort to third-party application - Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery.
You can see deleted WhatsApp messages on both iPhone and Android with correct ways. Here we mention about iPhone WhatsApp. For Android, read the linked article.
After installing and launching UltData WhatsApp Recovery on your computer, click on Device.
Connect your iPhone to it via a USB cable. When it detects your iPhone, click on Start Scan.
The program will start scanning WhatsApp data on your phone. And the messages scanned will be displayed in categories.
Select the messages that you want and click on Recover.
WhatsApp status is a quick way to show your friends what you are doing, how you are feeling, and etc. If you see WhatsApp not status showing, then it will not be your problem here. We gather all the possible causes and related solutions to show WhatsApp status again. And another WhatsApp tip is an useful WhatsApp data recovery tool - Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery.