iPhone Turns off And On by Itself in iOS 17/16/15? Here's Real Fix
Any idea what is the issue when an iPhone 7 restarts by itself two or three times continuously? Any idea if the problem is caused by a faulty battery (although battery status seems ok), issues with the iOS or any virus. Thanks in advance."
Recently, many iPhone users, especially those who have updated their iPhone to iOS 17/16/15/14, reported that their iPhone turn off suddenly and restart by itself. When it happens, what can we do? In fact, iPhone shuts down and restarts on its own is one of the most common issues you may encounter. If you encounter the same problem, then you have come to the right place. In this article, you can know the common reasons why iPhone shuts down by itself and learn how to fix this issue through different methods.
- Part 1: Why Does My iPhone Turns off And On by Itself after iOS 17/16/15/14 Update
- Part 2. Top 7 Ways to Fix iPhone Turning On And Off by Itself after iOS 17/16/15/14 Update
Part 1. Why Does My iPhone Turns off And On by Itself after iOS 17/16/15/14 Update
There are many possible reasons of why iPhone keeps turning on and off in iOS 17/16/15/14, here, we list some of the most common causes below:
- iOS Update Failed: If you failed to update or you stop the progress of update, it might cause iPhone turns off and on by itself.
- Battery aging
- Insufficient storage space
- Attack by malicious software: If your iPhone is Jailbroken, you can install apps from other sources which are limited by Apple. However, jailbroken iPhone is more vulnerable to attack by malware, resulting in the iPhone trouble happen such as iPhone turns off and on by itself.
- Hardware Problem
Part 2. Top 7 Ways to Fix iPhone Turning On And Off by Itself after iOS 17/16/15/14 Update
- Way 1. Force Restart When iPhone Shuts Down Randomly (The Most Direct Method)
- Way 2. Wait for iPhone Running out of Battery Power
- Way 3. Quickly Fix 'iPhone Keeps Turning On and Off' Without Data Loss (Recommended)
- Way 4. Restore iPhone with iTunes to Fix iPhone Keeps Turning itself off(Data Loss)
- Way 5. Uninstall Unimportant Apps If iPhone Keep Turning Itself off
- Way 6. Update iOS Version If iPhone Turns off And on by Itself in iOS 15/14
- Way 7. Contact Apple
Way 1. Force Restart When iPhone Shuts Down Randomly (The Most Direct Method)
- iPhone 6s: Press and hold both the power button and the home button at the same time, don’t release until the screen turns black and then the Apple logo appears.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Long press on the volume down button and the power button. When the Apple logo shows up, you can release both buttons.
iPhone 8/X/XS/11/12/13/14: Press the volume up button and release; Then, press the volume down button and release; Last, long press on the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Way 2. Wait for iPhone Running out of Battery Power
If your iPhone goes wrong from time to time, such as shuts down randomly. It could be the battery problem. So how to make sure if it is the battery problem that results in your iPhone turning on and off by itself? The easiest way is to drain the battery.
- Firstly, do not recharge your iPhone but let it shut down automatically due to insufficient electricity. It might take you some time to wait for the process.
- When the battery is truly exhausted and iPhone has turned off, you can plug your iPhone to power to charge the battery.
- Wait till the battery is charged fully and then turn on your iPhone again to check if the problem is solved.
Way 3. Quickly Fix 'iPhone Keeps Turning On and Off' Without Data Loss (Recommended)
After trying the two methods above and your iPhone still turns off and on by itself? In this case, there may be something wrong with your iOS system. There are many ways to fix iOS problem, but most of them will cause data loss. Here, we recommend you a reliable software to fix various iOS problems without data loss. That is, Tenorshare ReiBoot. This software is able to restore your iOS to normal and also fully compatible with the latest iPhone 14 and other iPhone models. The interface is very clear and it is very easy to operate. You can try to download and install this tool on your computer. After installed, follow the steps below.
Launch the software and then connect your iPhone to computer. Click “Start” when it detects your device successfully. (Note: It is suggested to use the Apple original USB cable to ensure the smooth progress of the repair.)
Next, you will enter another interface. Just select and click on the “Standard Repair” button to proceed.
Click “Download” button then the software will automatically download the latest firmware package for your iPhone.
After the firmware package is downloaded, you can click “Start Standard Repair” to start repair your iPhone.
It will take you some time to wait. Once the repair process is finished, your iPhone will restart as normal.
Video Guide: How to Fix iPhone Turns Off And On by Itself with ReiBoot?
Way 4. Restore iPhone with iTunes to Fix iPhone Keeps Turning itself off(Data Loss)
- Launch the iTunes on your computer, please make sure that the iTunes is the latest version. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable.
After iTunes detect your iPhone successfully, click the device icon and then select the Summary. On the right bar of iTunes, click “Restore iPhone”.
- Then, it will pop up a window asking you to select a backup to restore your device. After selecting, click “Restore”. When the process is completed, your iPhone will be back to normal.
Way 5. Uninstall Unimportant Apps If iPhone Keep Turning itself off
If the automatic restart phenomenon occurs frequently, you can check if there is unstable app. If you update to iOS 15/14.7or more recent update, some apps may be not compatible with your current iOS system, which will cause trouble on iPhone such as screen won't turn on or iPhone shut off randomly. Therefore, you can try to delete the app which you recently install or those unimportant apps. After uninstalled, check if your iPhone is back to normal.
Way 6. Update iOS Version If iPhone Turns off And on by Itself in iOS 15/14
If it still can't be solved, then check if your iPhone 13/12/11 has a system update prompt, if any, please try to upgrade the iOS system to the latest version-iOS 16. Usually, the new version of iOS will bring the bug fixes, so it might be the perfect solution to solve the problem of iPhone turning on and off by itself. The upgrade method is as follows: Open Settings > General > Click “Software Update”. If there is a new update, just tap “Download and Install”.
Way 7. Contact Apple
If all of the methods above fail, there may be something wrong with the internal hardware of your iPhone. It is suggested that you bring the purchase invoice and mobile phone repair voucher to contact Apple's after-sales service or just visit the nearest Apple Store to test and repair your device.
If your iPhone turns off by itself occasionally, it may be caused by an iOS system bug, a sudden phone crash or other reasons. Then you can try to use the 7 ways we have introduced in this article. If you think it difficult to troublesome the problem one by one and are tired of those complex procedure, Tenorshare ReiBoot is your good choice. With just a few mouse clicks, you can fix your iPhone turns off and on by itself in iOS 17/16/15/14. It is also a free tool to enable you one-click to put your iPhone in recovery mode. Apart from fixing the auto-restart problem, it can also fix iPhone stuck on apple logo; black screen, etc.