How to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Internal Storage
WhatsApp backup is always stressed because you can use backups to restore your WhatsApp messages. We are familiar with WhatsApp iCloud backup and Google Drive backup, but can we resort to local backup when these online backups are not available? How to restore WhatsApp backup from internal storage? We will address these questions here.
- Part 1: Can I Restore WhatsApp Backup from Internal Storage
- Part 2: How to Backup WhatsApp to Internal Storage
- Part 3: How to Restore WhatsApp from Local Backup
- Part 4: How to Restore Deleted WhatsApp without Local Backup
- Part 5: FAQs on WhatsApp Backup from Internal Storage
Part 1: Can I Restore WhatsApp Backup from Internal Storage
Is it possible to recover WhatsApp messages from internal storage backup? The answer is yes for Android users. All you need is a right guidance and a proper local storage backup and you will get back your important WhatsApp chats. We will explain in detail below.
Part 2: How to Backup WhatsApp to Internal Storage
To restore WhatsApp backup from internal storage, you should know how to backup WhatsApp to local storage correctly. Whenever you backup WhatsApp to Google Drive, a local backup is created. Without Google Drive backup, WhatsApp is scheduled every night at 2AM to create a local backup file.
Besides, you should also know how to manually backup your WhatsApp data.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings. Then tap on Chats > Chat backup.
- Now on the sections that says Backup to Google Drive, tap and change the selection to Never.
After that, tap on Back Up button. This will backup your WhatsApp to the local storage.
To see the WhatsApp backup files, in the File Manager app, navigate to your local storage or sdcard > WhatsApp > Databases.
- The file named msgstore.db.crytp12 is the latest backup, which will be restored.
- It is possible for an earlier backup to be restored. Just change the name to msgstore.db.crytp12.
It is noted that this local backup thing works only for Android phones. iPhone users can’t exclusively back up their WhatsApp data to the internal storage.
Part 3: How to Restore WhatsApp from Local Backup
Now that you have backed up your WhatsApp and make sure there is backup ready to restore, to restore WhatsApp backup from internal storage, follow a few steps below.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your Android phone.
- While setting up and logging in with the same account, WhatsApp will find the backup file in the internal storage.
Restore messages from backup messages prompts. Tap on Restore.
- Wait the process to finish and then tap on Next. You will enter WhatsApp and see the backed up messages.
Part 4: How to Restore Deleted WhatsApp without Local Backup
Not having a backup of any sort but losing WhatsApp messages might be regarded as troublesome by most people. However, it is possible that you get back your lost WhatsApp messages. And that is by using Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery. This tool restores deleted WhatsApp messages without backup on both Android and iPhone.
Install UltData WhatsApp Recovery on your computer. Click on Device. Then choose the option of Android.
Connect your Android using a USB cable to the computer and then enable USB debugging on your phone.
Now, click Start to start scanning deleted and lost WhatsApp data on your phone.
Follow the guide in every step, WhatsApp will be reinstalled and backed up. Wait as everything is done.
Wait as the scanning process is done. All your WhatsApp data will be shown here. Select messages you want and click on Recover.
Part 5: FAQs on WhatsApp Backup from Internal Storage
Q1: Where is my WhatsApp backup in internal storage?
Your WhatsApp backup stored in the local storage can be accessed in File Manager. Go to Device Storage or SD Card > WhatsApp > Databases. Here you will find all the saved previous backup file.
Q2: Why WhatsApp is not restoring backup from internal storage?
There are a couple of reasons that WhatsApp is not restoring a local backup. For example, the phone number and account are not the same; the backup files could be corrupted or deleted; or WhatsApp cannot detect the local backup.
Q3: Can you restore deleted WhatsApp chats from local backup?
Yes, you can restore deleted WhatsApp chats from a local backup as long as the backup is created before the said messages are deleted.
We have learned about how to restore WhatsApp backup from internal storage, which tells us why backups are so important. No matter it is a local backup or iCloud backup and Google Drive backup, you should take it regularly or automatically. But if you do not have a backup and want to recover WhatsApp messages, use Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery.
- Recover deleted WhatsApp messages from Android devices;
- Recover deleted WhatsApp data directly from iOS devices;
- Support the scanning and reading of encrypted iTunes backup files;
- Support 7+ file types (contacts, photos,chats,voice messages, etc.);
- Compatible with latest iOS 17 and Android 12/13.