How to Recover 1 Year Old WhatsApp Messages without Backup
by Jenefey Aaron Updated on 2023-04-10 / Update for WhatsApp
People depend on WhatsApp to chat with friends and family members. But sometimes, you may accidentally delete WhatsApp messages that are of utmost importance to you. These messages can be older than 1 year or even several years. If you have backed up WhatsApp messages, it will be easy to get them back from backup. But what if you forgot to make backups? How can you restore old WhatsApp chat history without backup?
As it turns out, there are a few ways that can be used to recover old WhatsApp messages with or without backup. Depending on whether you are using an Android device or an iPhone, the instructions on how to recover 1 year old whatsapp messages without backup differ. With that said, let's see the solutions in details.
- Part 1. How to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages without/from Backup on Android
- Part 2. How to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages without/from Backup on iPhone
Part 1. How to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages without/from Backup on Android
If you run WhatsApp on Android and Google Drive backup isn’t enabled, you can use a third-party WhatsApp recovery tool or WhatsApp's built-in local backup feature to get back your old WhatsApp messages without backup. But as long as you enabled "Backup to Google Drive", recovering old WhatsApp messages is straightforward. Here're how to restore deleted Whatsapp messages without backup and from Google Drive backup.
Way 1. Use UltData WhatsApp Recovery to Recover Old Whatsapp Messages without Backup
Designed for Android users, Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery is able to retrieve old WhatsApp messages without backup no matter how long they have been deleted from Android. You can follow the steps below to restore deleted WhatsApp messages from one year ago without backup in minutes.
Download and install UltData WhatsApp Recovery on your computer and run the software. Connect your device to computer via an USB cable.
From the main interface, select "Device" and then "Android".
Follow the on-screen instruction to enable USB debugging on your android phone. After that, your android phone will be detected.
Then, click “Start” button on the program to recover WhatsApp data. And you need to backup WhatsApp by following the on-screen guide.
Now the program will uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your Android to scan the WhatsApp data. Do connect the Android and computer in the process.
When the data scanning is finished, all WhatsApp data will be displayed including your one-year-old deleted Whatsapp messages. Select the message you want to restore by clicking the “Recover” button to restore WhatsApp chat. Also, you can preview them before recovery.
Video Guide: How to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages without Backup on Android
Way 2. Utilize WhatsApp Local Backup to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages
WhatsApp for Android is equipped with a local backup solution that can automatically creat backup of your chats at at 2:00 am every morning and save it as an encrypted file in your phone's local storage. With this default feature, you can try to recover old WhatsApp messages without backup.
- Open File Manager or My Files on your phone and tap on "Internal Storage" or "Phone Storage".
Find out and tap on WhatsApp and then select the Database folder.
Look for a file named msgstore.db.crypt12 and rename it msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12.
- Rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. It's possible that an earlier backup might be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Don't change the number of the crypt extension.
- Now, uninstall WhatsApp from your phone and reinstall it from the Google Play store.
Launch WhatsApp and verify your WhatsApp account. When you are prompted to restore messages and media from your phone's internal storage, tap RESTORE to restore the backup data.
Way 3. Recover 1 Year old Whatsapp Messages from Google Drive Backup
If you have backed up Whatsapp messages to Google Drive 1 years ago, then congratulations! You can use Google Drive to recover one year old Whatsapp messages. Here is the procedure on how to retrieve deleted whatsapp messages from a year ago.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on your Android phone
- Open the WhatsApp and enter your phone number to verify.
- Tap “Restore” option when it pops up a windows to ask you confirm.
- Next, tap “Next” when the restore process is completed, and then your WhatsApp chats will be displayed after a while.
At last, WhatsApp will begin to restore all your backup file after your chats are recovered.
- Chances are very low for the backup of 1 year old data to be present on your Google Drive.
- You are unable to selectively restore the messages you want to restore.
- WhatsApp auto-backup only allows you to recover deleted WhatsApp messages from less than 7 days ago.
- The chances of success are slim.
Part 2. How to Recover 1 Year Old Whatsapp Messages iPhone without/from Backup
For iPhone users, there are options to get 1 year old WhatsApp messages no matter they have backed up WhatsApp chat history or not. Let's see how they work to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages.
Way 1. Use UltData WhatsApp Recovery to Recover Whatsapp Messages without Backup
Let's start by talking how to recover 1 year old Whatsapp messages without backup on iPhone via Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery.
Download and launch UltData WhatsApp Recovery on your Windows PC or Mac, then connect your iOS device to your computer via a cable and select the "Recover Data from iOS Devices" option.
Select the categories of data that you want to recover and then click Scan.
Once the data scanning is done, you can prview all the data found by UltData. Select WhatsApp & Attachments and then click on "Recover to PC".
Wait for the recovery process to complete. Once it's done, you will see the 1 year old WhatsApp messages on your computer.
Way 2. Restore 1 Year old Whatsapp Messages from iCloud Backup
WhatsApp offers the iCloud backup option to its iPhone users, making it possible to retrieve their deleted WhatsApp messages. If you’ve enabled Auto backup in WhatsApp Settings, then follow the instructions below to learn how to get back old WhatsApp message by restoring from a previous iCloud backup.
Firstly, check if there is an available iCloud backup for you to retrieve deleted whatsapp messages. Open WhatsApp, and go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- After confirmed, uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Launch WhatsApp and verify your phone number.
Follow the prompts to restore your chat history.
Write in the End
Cutting the chase, we just had a look on how to retrieve one year old deleted WhatsApp chat. You can use your backup to retrieve the messages. But if no backups are available, using Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery will be the most suitable option to restore deleted WhatsApp Messages without backup on Android and iPhone. Leaving the rest to your fine judgment, we know that you will make the best choice from the above mentioned solutions.
- Recover deleted WhatsApp messages from Android devices;
- Recover deleted WhatsApp data directly from iOS devices;
- Support the scanning and reading of encrypted iTunes backup files;
- Support 7+ file types (contacts, photos,chats,voice messages, etc.);
- Compatible with latest iOS 16 and Android 12/13.