How to Reset Android Phone When Locked
by Jenefey Aaron Updated on 2022-12-16 / Update for Unlock Android
Hello There! I'm looking for advice on how to reset a locked Android phone. I have an old Samsung Galaxy phone but unfortunately I cannot log into it because I do not remember the passcode. Is there any possible way for me to factory reset it and set it up again? Thanks!
One of the most frustrating things some Android users have experienced is forgetting screen lock password or pattern to unlock their Android phone. If you're in a situation like this, the methods on how to reset Android phone when locked we discuss here will help you out. They also work in case you want to reset Android phone to factory settings for feeling overwhelmed by your apps.
- Part 1: Manually Reset a Locked Android Phone to Factory Settings
- Part 2: Reset Android Phone When Locked by Using 4uKey for Android
- Part 3: Reset Android Phone When Locked via Android Device Manager
- Part 4. Reset a Samsung Phone That Is Locked via Find My Mobile
- Part 5. Reset a Locked Android Phone Using Google Account
Part 1: Manually Reset a Locked Android Phone to Factory Settings
When it comes to how to reset Android phone when locked, the first method we will look at is to maunally reset Android phone to factory settings. The process of hard resetting a locked Android phone differs between the brands. Below we've rounded up the ways to factory reset locked Android including Samsung，LG, HTC, Sony, and Huawei.
Please note: Performing a factory reset on Android phone will erase all the data from it.
Factory Reset a Locked Samsung Phone
When you Samsung phone is locked, you can use its hardware keys to enter into the recovery menu of your phone, where you can select to hard reset the device. Here's how to factory reset Samsung phone when locked.
- Open the recovery menu using the buttons.
- For Samsung device without a Power/Bixby/Home button (like Note20, S20, S21, S22), press and hold the Volume Up and Side buttons simultaneously until you will see a Samsung logo on the screen.
- For Samsung device with a Power button (like S8, S9, S10), press and hold the Volume Up, Bixby, and Power buttons simultaneously. Don't relaese them until a Samsung logo appears on the screen.
- Once the Android system recovery menu appears, use the Volume Down key to highlight Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power/Bixby key to select it.
Select Yes or Factory data reset and allow few seconds for the factory reset process to complete. Once complete, select Reboot system and the phone will reboot. You can now set it up as if it is a brand-new device.
Note: If your locked phone has a Google account or Samsung account synced or logged in, you'll be asked to enter your Google account password when your device reboots afterthe factory reset.
Reset a Locked LG Phone
If you're using a LG phone, follow the steps below to factory reset locked Android.
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together to turn the phone off.
- When the LG logo is displayed, release only the Power key and then press and hold the Power key again. Keep the Volume Down button pressed in the meantime.
- When the Factory Reset screen is shown, release all the keys.
- Use the Volume keys to highlight YES and press the Power key to continue for reset.
To confirm, once again press the Power Key or any of the Volume keys.
Hard Reset a Locked HTC Phone
To factory reset a HTC phone when it was locked, follow the steps below.
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button, and then press and hold the Power button.
- When you see the HTC logo appears on the screen, release all buttons.
- Press the Volume Down button to select "Factory reset" and press the Power button to proceed.
Once the factory data reset is completed, the device reboots normally. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to set up the device.
Reset a Locked Sony Phone
For Sony phone users, here's you can do to reset Android phone to factory settings.
- Turn your phone off and hold the volume down and power buttons together until the sony screen displays.
- Release the buttons and you will see a system Recovery screen. Use the Volume keys as up and down arrow keys to navigate in the menu.
- Choose "Factory Reset" and use the power button to select it.
- Press any of the volume buttons again to confirm by selecting 'Yes' and wait for the device to reboot.
Reset a Locked Huawei Android Phone
If you're wondering how to reset huawei phone when locked, this section gives you the answer.
- Switch your phone off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Up buttons along with the power key to enter into the Android recovery menu.
- Press the Volume down button to select the "Wipe data/factory reset' option and press the Power button to proceed.
- Select "Yes". Once the factory reset process is done, choose Reboot system now and wait for the device to restart.
Part 2: Reset Android Phone When Locked by Using 4uKey for Android
If you want to learn how to reset Android phone when locked in a quicker and easier maner, you can always rely on Tenorshare 4uKey for Android, one of the best Android phone unlocking software that helps reset locked Android phone by removing forgotten Android password from your Android within minutes. In case you need to unlock forgot pattern lock on Android, 4uKey for Android is also your best bet.
Here's how to reset a locked Android phone with 4uKey for Android.
- Download and install the software to your computer, then connect your phone to it using a USB cable.
To get rid of the forgotten password/lock screen code, select "Remove Screen Lock" mode.
As for most Android phones, choose "Remove Screen Lock" again to reset.
But if you are lucky to have the old Samsung phone, select the another feature and check if your Samsung phone is included in the list of bypassing the password without data loss.
Next, click “Start” and then select "Yes" to confirm that "Removing the lock screen password will erase all data on the device".
4uKey for Android will start removing the lock screen password. Once done, follow the software wizard to reset your locked Android phone.
When the phone reboots, you'll see that the password/lock screen code is removed successfully.
That's all about how to unlock a phone when you forgot the password using 4uKey for Android.
Video Guide: How to Factory Reset Android without Password
Part 3: Reset Android Phone When Locked via Android Device Manager
The third method you can try to reset a locked Android phone to factory settings is to use Android Device Manager to erase and unlock the phone.
As a security feature, Android Device Manager helps you locate, lock or wipe your Android device remotely. Here's how to wipe Android phone when locked via Android Device Manager.
- Visit android.com/find and sign in to your Google Account that is synced on your locked Android..
Select your device at the top of the screen and then click on the "ERASE DEVICE" option.
- Click on "ERASE DEVICE" again and sign in to the Google Account once again.
- When the Erase all data menu appears, click on Erase and wait for the erasing and resetting process to complete.
Part 4. Reset a Samsung Phone That Is Locked via Find My Mobile
If you are a Samsung user and wonders how to reset a Samsung phone that is locked, then you can make use of the Samsung Find My Mobile service as long as your locked Samsung has a Samsung account logged in.
Follow the steps below to learn how to reset Samsung phone without password.
- Visit findmymobile.samsung.com from other device and sign in to your Samsung account.
Click "Unlock" on the main page.
Click "Unlock" at the bottom, enter the password used for signing in, and click on "NEXT" to proceed.
- This will unlock and reset a locked Samsung phone and give you access to the device.
Part 5. Reset a Locked Android Phone Using Google Account
The last resort on how to reset a locked android phone only works for Android Phone running 4.4 or below. With the inbuilt "Forgot Pattern" feature, you can reset a locked Android phone by bypassing the forgotten pattern.
- After too many failed login (password, pin or pattern) attempts, you will see the "Forgot pattern" option. Simply tap on it.
The phone will asks for entering Google account login details.
- Enter account credentials, email, and password. You'll be navigated to a screen where you can draw a new unlock pattern.
Confirm the pattern and your device unlock pattern will be changed.
The methods we have shown here should have helped you to figure out the qustion - "how to reset android phone when locked?" From all the methods introduced, the best option to reset Android phone to factory settings is to use 4uKey for Android. With just a few click, you can quickly and easily to reset a locked Android phone without password.
- Bypass Google account verification on Samsung devices (Android 6-13)
- Remove Android password, pattern, PIN, and fingerprint lock just one click away
- Support removing screen lock and FRP on both Win & Mac