2 Easy Ways to Sort Google Contacts by Date Added
Is it possible for me to organize my Gmail (Google) contacts by date added? I would like to be able to tell what date a contact was added. How do I do that?"
Sometimes you would want to sort Google contacts by date added on your phone or the web but Gmail does not have that sort feature. If this is what you want to do, you have come to the right place. There are a couple of ways to sort contacts stored with Google and this guide tells you how to access those sorting options.
Once you have learned that, you will be able to sort your Google contacts just the way you want.
- Part 1. Is It Possible to Sort Google Contacts by Date Added?
- Part 2. How to Sort Google Contacts by Date Added?
- Part 3. People Also Asked about Sorting Google Contacts
- Bonus Tip: How to Recover Lost Contacts from Android Phone Memory?
Part 1. Is It Possible to Sort Google Contacts by Date Added?
Before you proceed further, it is important that you learn if it is possible to Google contacts sort by date added.
Unfortunately, the Google Contacts app does not allow you to sort your contacts by date added. The only sorting options available to you are sort by First name and sort by Last name.
However, that does not mean you cannot sort your contacts by date added at all. When you create a new Google contact, you are actually given the option to add a note or a label to your contact. You can create date-based labels and assign them to your contacts, to later sort your contacts by date added.
Part 2. How to Sort Google Contacts by Date Added?
There are two ways for how to sort Google contacts by date added. You can either use labels or you can use notes along with a Chrome extension.
The following describes both of those methods for you.
1. Via Google Contacts Labels
In Google contacts, you can add a label (the date you created the contact) when you adding a contact. And the labels you created will appear at the left panel, click each of them you can check the contacts under this Label. The following shows how to create a new contact and add a label to it in Google Contacts.
- Launch the Google Contacts app on your phone.
- Tap the + (plus) icon to add a new contact.
- Enter the details of your new contact, like their name and phone number.
After you entered all the details, add a label to your new contact. Remember that the label should be the date you created the contact.
After doing this for your contacts, you can find that your Google contacts are sorted by date on the left panel.
You can now open Google Contacts anytime and click this label to view all your contacts that have been assigned this label.
2. By Add Note to Your Google Contacts
You can use the notes feature as well to sort Google contacts by date added in Google Contacts. To do this, you will need to either create a new contact or add a note to an existing one. The following shows how to do this procedure.
- Open and edit one of the contacts on your device.
Access the Notes field and enter the date you added that contact to your list.
- Do the above for each of your contacts.
- Download and install the free Contact Editor for Google Contacts extension in your Chrome browser. Sign in with Google account.
Use the extension to open your contacts list. Then, sort the Notes field to sort your contacts by date added.
That is how do you sort Google contacts by date added.
Part 3. People Also Asked about Sorting Google Contacts
If you use Google Contacts as your primary address book, you probably have questions about the usage of this app. The following answers some of those questions for you.
1. How do I sort Google contacts by last name?
You can sort Google Contacts by last name as follows.
- Open the Google Contacts app, tap the menu icon, and select Settings.
Tap Sort by and choose Last name.
- Your contacts will now be sorted by last name.
2. How do I sort my contacts by first name?
You can sort your contacts by first name in Google Contacts as follows.
- Access the Google Contacts app, tap the menu icon, and choose Settings.
Select Sort by and tap First name.
- Your contacts are now sorted by first name.
3. How do I merge duplicate contacts?
Google Contacts lets you easily merge and fix duplicate contacts on your phone. The following is how you use that feature on your phone.
- Fire up the Google Contacts app, tap the menu icon, and tap Merge & fix.
Tap Merge duplicates to merge your duplicate contacts.
You are all set.
Bonus Tip: How to Recover Lost Contacts from Android Phone Memory?
If you have lost your contacts as a result of editing them on your phone, you will need to use a data recovery tool to recover your lost contacts. Tenorshare UltData for Android is an excellent option for recovering contacts and other types of data on Android devices. You can use this app to recover your contacts quickly and easily. Here we show how.
Download and open the aforementioned tool on your computer. Click Recover Lost Data in the tool.
Plug your phone into your computer with a cable. Enable USB debugging on your phone.
Tick Contacts and click Start in the tool.
Select the contacts to recover and click Recover.
- You will get a notification when your photos are recovered.
Your contacts will be recovered.
There are many reasons you would want to sort your Google contacts. With the methods above, you should be able to do that without any hassle. In case you lost Android contacts after factory reset, update or for some other reason, use the suggested tool - Tenorshare UltData for Android to get back your lost contacts.