How to Recover WhatsApp Messages After Factory Reset 2023
People factory reset their phones due to a wide variety of reasons. For example, the storage is filled up; their phones are laggy; there are some bugs. When you factory reset, what happens to WhatsApp and its data on your phone? If you want to know how to recover WhatsApp messages after factory reset, read this article to find answers.
- Part 1: Is WhatsApp Data Deleted After Factory Reset
- Part 2: Is It Possible to Recover WhatsApp Messages After Factory Reset
- Part 3: How to Recover WhatsApp Data After Factory Reset from Backup
- Part 4: How to Recover WhatsApp Messages without Backup
Part 1: Is WhatsApp Data Deleted After Factory Reset
After you factory reset your phone, it gets back to factory settings. All of the data, apps and accounts are removed. That includes WhatsApp data too. WhatsApp account is not cancelled, rather the app is uninstalled and messages are erased from your phone.
Part 2: Is It Possible to Recover WhatsApp Messages After Factory Reset
Yes, you have the chance to recover WhatsApp messages after factory reset. But since this process erases all the data, this is where the backups we create come into use. As long as you take a backup before the factory reset, you can sign into the same WhatsApp account and recover the WhatsApp messages.
Part 3: How to Recover WhatsApp Data After Factory Reset from Backup
Now we will see how to recover WhatsApp data after factory reset with a backup. And we will describe the steps for both iPhones and Android, which are roughly the same, but specifically, there are different backup tools.
iCloud backup is the preferred choice for WhatsApp users with an iPhone. After your factory reset iPhone and set it up again, follow the steps below:
Related Read: Restore WhatsApp backup from iTunes
- Use the same iCloud account on your iPhone.
- Reinstall WhatsApp and sign in with the same WhatsApp account.
You will see a prompt that asks you to restore chat history. Tap on that.
- In this way your WhatsApp messages will be recovered. It might take some time depending upon the size of your WhatsApp backup.
Android users can backup WhatsApp data to local or Google Drive, but since local backup will be erased after factory reset, you need to restore WhatsApp messages from Google Drive.
- Set up your Android phone with the same Google account and the same WhatsApp account.
Open WhatsApp and sign in. It will search for a backup. Click on Restore to restore messages from it.
- This is how to restore WhatsApp messages after factory reset for Android.
Part 4: How to Recover WhatsApp Messages without Backup
Factory reset removes the WhatsApp data, which has been explained above. But you might sometimes accidentally delete WhatsApp messages. The worse is that you realize this before you take a backup.
So how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages without backup? Some of the software like Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery have shown great promise in recovering WhatsApp data. We are going to see how to use it for both iPhones and Android too.
First, download, install and launch this WhatsApp recovery tool on your computer and click on Device. Select Android to go on.
Connect your Android to it with a USB cable. Enable USB debugging on your phone with the on-screen instructions.
After that, the software will work for scanning the WhatsApp messages. Click on Start.
After reinstalling and backing up process, it will start scanning. It might take a few minutes.
All the discovered WhatsApp will be displayed. Find and select the messages you want to restore and then click on Recover.
For iPhone, connect it to tha computer with a USB cable. Click Device and select iPhone to start.
After the program detects your iPhone, click on Start Scan. The program will directly scan WhatsApp data on your iPhone.
The program will show the scanned data in groups. Select the WhatsApp messages you want and click on Recover.
Factory reset removes all of the data including WhatsApp chats from your phone. If you are looking for how to recover WhatsApp messages after factory reset, you need to have backups in the form of either iTunes, iCloud or Google Drive. Another tip for accidentally deleted WhatsApp data recovery, Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery is ready for you to get back WhatsApp messages.
- Recover deleted WhatsApp messages from Android devices;
- Recover deleted WhatsApp data directly from iOS devices;
- Support the scanning and reading of encrypted iTunes backup files;
- Support 7+ file types (contacts, photos,chats,voice messages, etc.);
- Compatible with latest iOS 17 and Android 12/13.