Things You Should Know on iTunes Backup WhatsApp [30K Readers]
If you’re a WhatsApp user, you know it’s a hassle taking backups of WhatsApp chats. When you think of the “default” method to back up your WhatsApp, you probably think of iTunes. And why wouldn’t you, iTunes is Apple’s first-party solution for device backups and data management.
But does iTunes backup WhatsApp? If yes, then can you do it? What are the drawbacks? Let’s find out all of that in this article!
- Part 1: Is WhatsApp Included in iTunes Backup?
- Part 2: How to Back Up WhatsApp to iTunes?
- Part 3: How to Restore iTunes WhatsApp Backup?
- Part 4: Are There Any Drawbacks of iTunes Backup?
Part 1: Is WhatsApp Included in iTunes Backup?
So, does iTunes backup include WhatsApp? Well, the simple answer is yes — but there’s a catch.
iTunes doesn’t take a separate backup of WhatsApp on your computer, but instead, it takes a backup of your entire device. So, you cannot take backups of your WhatsApp chat with iTunes and restore them on will.
There are several drawbacks to it, and we will discuss them in just a bit.
Part 2: How to Back Up WhatsApp to iTunes?
So, now that you know does iTunes backup WhatsApp, it’s time to see how you can do it in the first place. Before we get into it, we’d like to clarify that this method works for both kinds of computers, i.e., PCs and Macs.
That said, here’s how to backup WhatsApp iPhone iTunes.
- Download and install iTunes on your Windows PC. If you have a Mac, skip this step.
- Open iTunes on the PC and connect your device to the computer using a USB cable. If you have a Mac, simply open the Finder.
- Tap the Device icon on iTunes or your device’s name in the left bar on the Finder window.
Now, look for the “Backups” option, and make sure the option to backup the device on the computer is selected. You could also use the other option to backup to the iCloud drive, but that doesn’t back up the data on the PC. Instead, it uploads your data to the cloud, just like the iCloud backups you take on the iPhone itself.
- Click the “Back Up Now” button and wait for the process to complete.
At this point, your phone has successfully been backed up to the cloud.
Part 3: How to Restore iTunes WhatsApp Backup?
Here comes the disappointing part. To restore WhatsApp backup iTunes using this method, you’d have to lose your current device data.
That’s right — when you restore your backup, your existing device data will be overwritten. That means you will lose everything you have on your iPhone right now, and the backed-up data will be written on top of it.
That’s why we don’t recommend this method, as most people don’t want to lose their existing data to restore a backup. Anyway, if you’re fine with it, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to restore your iTunes backup.
- Open iTunes on your Windows PC or Finder on the Mac.
- Find your device and select it.
- Under the “Backups” label, click “Restore Backup” and select the latest backup you took.
- Wait for the process to complete. Your phone will restart in the process, don’t panic.
When the device reboots and syncs the data, you will get the WhatsApp chats back.
Part 4: Are There Any Drawbacks of iTunes Backup?
The answer is : Yes!
- To restore an iTunes WhatsApp backup, you have to lose your existing device data. That’s the biggest drawback of this method.
- Furthermore, you can’t simply select which things to back up and which not to backup. That’s because iTunes takes backups of your entire device, not only WhatsApp.
So, it’s not really a solid solution to backing up your WhatsApp chats alone. How do you backup WhatsApp iTunes without these drawbacks? Well, the simple answer is to not use iTunes at all!
You see, there are other tools you can use for this purpose, and the most prominent of those is called Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer. iCareFone Transfer comes with tons of advantages that iTunes doesn’t.
- To begin with, you don’t have to lose your existing device data to restore the WhatsApp backup.
- Plus, you can take a backup of your WhatsApp chats alone, no need to back up the entire device just for WhatsApp.
- Furthermore, you never need to reset or restore your iPhone to get the data back. You can simply restore your chat history whenever you want.
That said, here’s how to use iCareFone Transfer to back up your WhatsApp.
Download and Install Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer on your PC. Open iCareFone Transfer. On the main interface, select WhatsApp. Connect your iPhone to the PC using a USB cable.
Choose “Backup” from the left panel. Select your device type, i.e., iPhone, and hit the Back Up Now button.
Wait for the process to complete.
Your WhatsApp data has now been successfully backed up to your device.
Unlike the backups that iTunes takes, this backup only contains your WhatsApp chats — and you can restore it whenever you feel like it!
The Bottom Line
There you have it — that’s how you take a WhatsApp backup iTunes.
In any case, it’s better to simply not use iTunes for your WhatsApp backups, as it’s a complete hassle. You have to take backups of your entire device, and lose your current data for a backup to be restored.
The best way to go about the situation is to use a dedicated tool to take WhatsApp backups and restore them on will. And when you’re looking for such a tool, Tenorshare iCareFone Transfer has got you covered!