What Happens If Enter Too Many Wrong Passcode Attempts iPhone
by Anna Sherry Updated on 2022-07-12 / Update for Unlock iPhone
A strong passcode is the key to best data security. However, this leads to people forgetting passwords easily and having too many wrong password attempts. What will happen if you enter wrong passcodes too many times? How to unlock your iPhone if you cannot remember the passcode? In this article, we will answers all the questions you want to know.
- Part 1: How Many Times Can You Enter iPhone Wrong Passcodes
- Part 2: Will iPhone Lose Data After Too Many Passcode Attempts
- Part 3: How to Fix iPhone Locked Due to Wrong Password
- Part 4: Restore Data from Backup
Part 1: How Many Times Can You Enter iPhone Wrong Passcodes
It happens that you were trying to unlock your iPhone using a passcode you thought was right but ended up locking your iPhone. How many tries do you have to enter wrong passcodes?
- Well, if you put iPhone wrong passcode for 5 times, your iPhone says iPhone unavailable try again in 1 minute.
- The sixth iPhone wrong passcode attempt locks you out for 5 minutes.
- The seven attempt locks you out for 15 minutes.
- And as for iPhone wrong password 10 times, it will get locked for an hour.
- The more you try, the longer you wait.
Part 2: Will iPhone Lose Data After Too Many Passcode Attempts
When you are lockd out of your iPhone after too many passcode attempts, you get anxious about not seeing messages on your iPhone, and also worry about what happens to the data if it can not be unlocked. Will iPhone erase data after you enter wrong passcodes consecutively? The answer is yes. Two situations here.
First, if you have forgotten the passcode and try again and again, the tenth attempt is important. To protect data, there is a setting, if you had enabled, will automatically erase the data after iPhone wrong password 10 times.
Second, when you do not remember the correct passcode, and are trying to unlock the iPhone, if you want to know how to unlock a disabled iPhone without data loss, the answer is no, all methods will lose data. So no data will remain.
Part 3: How to Fix iPhone Locked Due to Wrong Password
The problem is there, too many passcode attempts locked the iPhone. And can't remember the password? There's no choice but to restore the iPhone? From using third party apps to iTunes and other ways, let's go through each of them.
Tenorshare 4uKey is a professioanl third-party software to solve iPhone locked due to wrong password. No iTunes, no passwords, and no other things needed except your computer. It is compatible with all iOS devices like iPhones, iPads and iPods.
Download, install and run 4uKey on your computer. Click on the Start button to proceed.
Connect your iPhone to the computer using the lightning fast cable. The software should detect your iPhone successfully. Click Next.
After that, you will be asked to download the firmware package for your iPhone.
Once the download has completed, the process of passcode removal can finally begin. Click on Start Remove.
Wait patiently as the process completes. Your device is going to restart and then the passcode is removed completely.
iTunes is mainly used to back up data and then restore the backup to your iPhone. You can also use iTunes to reset your locked iPhone after entering wrong passcodes many times.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer, and open iTunes that has been updated to the latest version.
- iTunes detects your iPhone? Go to Summary/General to restore your iPhone directly.
- iTunes cannot detect your iPhone? Put your iPhone into recovery mode with buttons.
A pop up box like the following appears. Click on Restore.
- Wait till the process completes, and then you can set up your iPhone as new.
3. Erase iPhone
After you put iPhone wrong passcode too many times, your iPhone says iPhone Unavailable or Security Lockout try again in X minutes. Here you will have the Erase iPhone option on iOS 15.2 and later. And this method requires that you remember your iPhone’s Apple ID and password. Without network, it will not work, either.
- Pickup your iPhone. Tap on Erase iPhone at the right bottom corner of the lock screen.
Tap on that again. And then enter the Apple ID password present on this iPhone.
- Once you do so, the iPhone will be erased completely, and all locks removed.
Part 4: Restore Data from Backup
Last but not least, you should try to get back the data. After you get into the locked iPhone due to too many passcode attempts, your iPhone will restart, and you need to set it up. And there is an option to restore apps and data to this iPhone.
If you made a backup on iCloud, you can get back your data from it, and if you backed up your iPhone with iTunes, you can restore all this data using the iTunes once again.
It is always important to have a backup regularly, and if you are not used to iTunes or iCloud, you can try Tenorshare iCareFone for backup and restore.
If you have too many passcode attempts on your iPhone, then you are likely to end with a locked or disabled iPhone. If you cannot remember the password, then you need to remove the forgotten passcode by using Tenorshare 4uKey or other ways. And after that, the data in your phone will most likely be lost. Once you successfully reset your iPhone, you can get back your data if you have a backup.
- Remove Apple ID or iCloud account on iPhone/iPad without password
- Bypass iPhone/iPad screen passwords instantly
- Bypass MDM Screen from iPhone/iPad
- Remove screen time passcode in 3 simple steps
- Fix disabled iPhone/iPad without iTunes or iCloud