How to Lock Apps in iOS 11.4/11/10/9/8 without Jailbreaking
Smartphone has become an important part of our lives that some of us keep our private data inside the phone. It’s convenient, but risky to our privacy. Anyone could snoop inside and see everything.
That’s why our gadgets come with the device lock to protect them from the busybody. And if the case of Apple vs FBI could be any indication, iPhones and other iOS devices have one of the best security measures in the world.
The problem is, even though iOS can prevent any third-party from opening Apple mobile devices, it can do nothing if the devices are already open, or if someone knows the passcode to open them.
Can you protect the individual app when your iPhone has already opened? How to lock apps on iPhone without jailbreaking?
The Bad News
Let’s start our discussion by telling you that there is no way to lock individual app in iOS without going through the jailbreaking process first. If you’ve jailbroken your iPhone, you can use iAppLock, a paid jailbroken-only iOS app, to lock individual files. But if your iPhone is still pristine, or if you prefer not to tweak it outside of the legally supported iOS environment, then you can’t use the app.
But that doesn’t mean that there’s no way around the problem. Some individual apps such as LINE or DayOne, for example, come with their own security method to keep the app from prying eyes.
You can also log out from a particular app to prevent others from looking into the content of the app. Some of the apps that can use this trick are social media apps such as Facebook and Twitter. But constantly logging out and logging in might not be the best solution because it’s troublesome and annoying.
The (Semi) Elegant Solution to Lock iOS Apps on iPhone and iPad
Fortunately, all is not lost. There’s a way that might be the next best thing to individual app lock, requires no jailbreaking, and built in to the core of iOS. The feature is called Guided Access .
Even though the feature is not built specifically to lock individual app, but you can use it for that purpose. The feature allows you to control what features are available to use for a particular application. It means that you can lock specific functions present inside an App.
To enable it, follow the steps given below:
- Go to Settings and Tap on General > Accessibility > Guided Access .
- Under Guided Access toggle the switch to ON.
- After turning on Guided Access, you can enable password to protect it. Select Set Guided Access Passcode. This password is required to lock or unlock the apps.
- Don’t forget to also turn Accessibility Shortcut to On so that you can access the feature quickly using triple-click of the home button.
After successfully enabled Guided Access feature, you can lock any app that you want using the following procedure:
- Open the App which you want to lock. For instance take Messages App.
- Now to start Guided Access and lock Messages App triple click the home button .
- Triple clicking on home button will give you Options (at the bottom left corner) where you can restrict features within an app. You can turn on or off these ability: Sleep/Wake Button, Volume Buttons, Motion, Keyboards, Touch, and Time Limit.
- For example, if you disable the Keyboard , nobody can type anything in Message app without enabling the feature first. And to do that, password is required.
How to Lock Photos on iPhone without Jailbreaking?
Another risk of privacy comes from the internet. Some of the forms of the intrusions are the ever annoying web ads. You can use ad blockers to defend yourself against these ads, and there are tons of alternatives that you can download from the App Store for your iPhone.
One of the best alternatives is Tenorshare iCareFone . It is one of the best iPhone photo lock app to encrypt photos and albums on iPhone X/8/Plus/7/7 Plus/SE/6s/6 Plus/6/5s/5 as well as iPad and iPod touch with high security. It has strong ads filters, easy to use, and comes with privacy protector and the ability to block pictures and special fonts.
- Open the app on your iPhone and tab on “Album Encryption” option.
- Click “Import” icon to select the photos you want to lock. You’ll be asked to login your account, you can register an account before importing photos.
- After login your account, choose the pictures and encrypt them quickly.
That’s all for how to lock iOS apps on iPhone 7/7 Plus/SE/6s/6 Plus/6/5s/5 and iPad. We hope our solutions would help you solve your problems.