How to Fix iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working on iPhone
With iOS 16, Apple has made the Fitness app available to iPhone users who don’t have an Apple Watch. That means even if you don’t have a watch paired to your iPhone, you can use the Fitness app to track things like steps and calories burned as you will.
However, the process of tracking fitness data hasn’t been going smooth for some users and they have reported issues with the Fitness app. Fitness app not working on iOS 16, Fitness app not available in iOS 16, Fitness app stuck on the loading screen, and workout data not being recorded are some of the most frequent complaints. If you are one of those whose Fitness app isn’t working properly, here’s everything you need to know to fix Fitness app problems on iOS 16.
- Part 1: Why Is My Fitness App Not Working on iPhone?
- Part 2: 6 Common Fixes for iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working on iPhone
- Part 3: One Click to Fix iOS 16/17 Assistive Touch Not Working/Moving/Respondinghot
Part 1: Why Is My Assistive Touch Not Working/Moving on iOS 16?
There can be multiple reasons for the Fitness app not working on iPhone. Let’s check the most common ones.
- You may not have turned on fitness tracking.
- Your Apple Watch may not have connected to the iPhone correctly.
- You may be on an outdated version of watchOS.
- There may be a system-level bug in your iPhone.
Part 2: 6 Common Fixes for iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working on iPhone
After figuring out the possible reasons, you can try these 6 fixes to get around the problem of Fitness app not working on iPhone!
- Fix 1: Enable Fitness Tracking
- Fix 2: Restart Your iPhone and Apple Watch
- Fix 3: Upgrade Your Apple Watch
- Fix 4: Unpair and Pair Your Apple Watch Again
- Fix 5: Reset Fitness Calibration Data
- Fix 6: Delete and Reinstall Fitness App
Fix 1: Enable Fitness Tracking
Certain permission is required to be enabled for the Fitness app to track and record your activity data. So when the Fitness app is not working on iPhone, the first thing you need to do is check if you have enabled fitness tracking.
To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open the Settings app and tap Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down to the Motion & Fitness option and tap on it.
Enable the toggles for Fitness Tracking and Health.
- To double-check, open the Watch app and go to Privacy. Switch on the toggles for Fitness Tracking Fitness and Heart Rate if they are off.
Now the Fitness app should be able to track your movement as intended. And your fitness data will be automatically synced to your Apple Watch, too.
Fix 2: Restart Your iPhone and Apple Watch
If the problem Fitness app not working in iOS 16 issue exists when you have enabled Fitness tracking, try restarting your Apple Watch and iPhone to give them a fresh start and clear any simple glitches.
To do that, follow the steps below.
- Press and hold the side button on your iPhone until you see the power off slider.
- Drag the slider and turn off your phone.
- Wait for 30 seconds and then turn your phone back on.
- Repeat the process on your Apple Watch as well.
Once your watch restarts, pair it with your iPhone and allow some time for the Fitness app to sync the data.
Fix 3: Upgrade Your Apple Watch
As previously stated, Apple Fitness app not working can occur when your Apple Watch is not out of date. To make sure that your Apple devices have the latest bug fixes and security enhancements, you should keep your devices up to date.
Below is how to update your Apple Watch to the latest version of watchOS.
- Connect your Apple Watch to a charger.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app and locate to My Watch tab.
- Go to General > Software Update.
If there’s any update available, tap Install Now to update your watch.
Fix 4: Unpair and Pair Your Apple Watch Again
If your fitness app is not working on iPhone despite being connected to an Apple Watch even now, you should reset the Apple Watch and pair it to your iPhone again.
To do this, follow the simple steps below.
- Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to General and tap All Watches in the top left corner.
- Tap the “i” icon next to the watch that you want to unpair from your iPhone.
Tap “Unpair Apple Watch” at the bottom then tap Unpair again to confirm.
When your Apple Watch has been unpaired, you’ll see the “Start Pairing” message. To pair it to your iPhone again, follow the below steps.
- With your watch turned on, press Start Pairing in the Watch app.
- Click on Set Up for Myself.
- Bring your iPhone to the Apple Watch.
- You can either restore it from backup or set it up as New Apple Watch.
Then, tap on Continue to finish setting it up.
Fix 5: Reset Fitness Calibration Data
In case your workout data is not being recorded or the Apple watch data not syncing correctly, you can try resetting Fitness Calibration Data.
Here is how you can reset fitness calibration to fix Fitness App not working.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app.
- Head over to the My Watch section and tap Privacy.
- Tap Reset Fitness Calibration Data.
When a confirmation pop-up appears, tap on “Reset Fitness Calibration Data” again to complete the process.
Now you’re good to go. Open the Fitness app to see if it can track your activity data and record it correctly.
Fix 6: Delete and Reinstall Fitness App
Another effective solution to the Fitness app not working issue on your iPhone is to delete the app from your device and reinstall it. But your workout data will be removed after the re-installation.
That being said, here’s how to delete the Fitness app and get it reinstalled.
- Long press on the Fitness app icon on your phone’s home screen.
- Select Remove App, followed by Delete App.
- Select Delete.
- Now open App Store to install the Fitness app on your phone.
Part 3: Two Advance Ways to Fix iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working
In the case of the Fitness App not working issue remains after you apply all the above methods, then you can use other two advance ways to sort out any iOS 16 bugs and get the Fitness app working again.
- Way 1: Fix iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working Using ReiBoot
- Way 2: Factory Reset iPhone to Fix iPhone Fitness App Not Working
Way 1: Fix iOS 16/17 Fitness App Not Working Using ReiBoothot
Is Fitness app not working on iPhone after iOS 16/17 update? The app may be stuck on the loading screen when there is an iOS system issue. To get the problem resolved, it's time to rely on a reliable iOS recovery tool like iOS 16/17 system glitches and bugs. Simply put, ReiBoot can help you sort out all the bugs that came with the new update and fix issues like apps crashing/not working on iPhone, iPhone stuck on Apple logo, apps won't open on iPhone, in just a few minutes with no technical knowledge.
Without any delay, let’s Focus on the steps you can take to resolve things.
Download and install ReiBoot on your computer. After installation, run the program and click “Start.”
Connect the concerned iPhone to the computer. Once it is detected, you’ll be provided with two repair modes. select “Standard Repair.”
ReiBoot will then prompt you to download the latest firmware, click “Download.”
When the firmare package is ready, hit “Start Standard Repair” to get the repair process started.
Wait for the process to complete, and you’re all set!
Now, your Fitness app should start working as expected.
Way 2: Factory Reset iPhone to Fix iPhone Fitness App Not Working
Another advanced fix you can try is to factory reset your iPhone to return it to its original state. In some cases, this will sort out the Fitness app not working issue you are facing. But compare with the solution offered by ReiBoot, the downside of this method is that all the data and contents will be wiped from your device.
After backing up your iPhone, follow the steps below to reset your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
Tap Continue. If prompted, enter the passcode set on your phone.
- Wait for the process to complete and you’re all set!
Many users are reporting the iOS 16/17 fitness app not working on iPhone issue. If you have also been facing this issue now you know how to get rid of it. If none of the basic methods seem to work for you, simply use Tenorshare ReiBoot as it has the maximum chance of solving the problem without causing data loss.