How to Reset Android Phone When It's Locked
" I'm unable to log into my Android phone because I forgot my pattern. How can I factory reset my Android phone and set it up again? I don't know how to do it, Any help?"
One of the most frustrating things that can happen is forgetting password or pattern of login to your Android phone. There is no way around it; you need to enter the unique password exactly as you had created. If not, your phone becomes useless, even though it powers up and navigates to the login page. The methods to reset a locked Android (Samsung/LG/HTC/Nexus/Sony/Huawei) phone that we discuss here also work in case you want to reset your phone because it is overloaded with apps.
Part 1: Manually Hard Reset a Locked Android Phone
The process of hard reset locked Android Phone differs between the brands. Note that manual factory reset of Android phone will erase all data on your phone. To perform it follow the below steps.
- Reset a locked Samsung phone
- Press and hold the power button, home key, and volume up keys at once. You will see a Samsung logo appear on the screen. Hold the volume down key to scroll down to wipe data/factory reset. Select 'Yes' and delete the phone's data by pressing the volume down key. The phone will reboot and reset samsung phone locked out.
- Reset a locked HTC phone
- Try random patterns or PINs for five times. When you attempt to login for five times with a wrong PINs or patterns, you will be given the option 'FORGOT PATTERN' or 'FORGOT PASSWORD'. Click on it and you will be shown a Google account login screen where you can enter your Google account credentials and follow the instructions to set a new password.
- Reset a locked LG phone
- Turn off the phone. Press and hold Power key and Volume Down key together at the same time.
- When the LG logo is displayed, release the Power key, press and hold Power key again.
- When the Factory reset screen is shown, release all keys.
- Press the Volume Keys to cancel or Power Key to continue for reset.
- To confirm, once again press the Power Key or any of the Volume keys.
- Reset a locked Sony phone
- Turn your phone off and hold the volume down and power button together until the sony screen displays. Release the buttons and you will see a recovery screen. Use the volume keys as up and down arrow keys to navigate in the menu. Choose 'wipedata/factory reset' and use the power button to select it. Press any of the volume buttons again to confirm by selecting 'Yes' and wait.
- Reset a locked Huawei Android phone
- Switch your phone off.
- At the same time, press and hold the volume down and up keys along with the power key to turn on the phone.
- Press the volume down button to select the 'wipe data/factory reset'.
- Press the volume down button to select 'Yes -- delete all user data'.
- Lastly, restart your phone by pressing the power key.
Part 2: Factory Reset a Locked Android Phone with Tenorshare Android Unlocker
If you want to bypass the unknown password, you can use Tenorshare Android Unlocker. It will reset your locked Android phone within minutes.
First, download and install the software to your computer, then connect your phone using a USB cable to it.
To get rid of password/lock screen code, select "Remove Screen Lock" mode.
Next, to perform reset, follow the software wizard to reset your locked Android phone. After the phone resets, you'll see that the password/lock screen code is removed successfully.
Part 3: Others Ways to Reset Password on A Locked Android Phone
1. Reset Samsung phone with Find My Mobile
This works only for Samsung Android phone users who have before setting up a Samsung account and had enabled 'Find My Mobile' controls.
- Connect your Samsung phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Turn on the Internet browser and go to 'Find My Mobile' and Log in.
- Enter the email and password you had used to set up a Samsung account.
- Click 'Confirm' when you are prompted for an updated "Terms & Conditions" page.
- Checkmark and 'Agree'.
- Click 'UNLOCK MY DEVICE' on the main page.
- Enter password used for signing in and click 'UNLOCK'.
- This will reset a locked samsung phone and give you access to the device.
2. Unlock Android phone using Google Account
This method works for only users who are using Android 4.4 or below. After too many failed login (password, pin or pattern) attempts, the phone asks for entering Google account login details. Enter account credentials, email, and password to unlock the screen and reset the android phone when locked out.
The methods we have shown here should have helped you to unlock locked Android phone forgot pattern. When you reset android phone to factory settings, you will lose messages, photos, contacts, etc. from phone's internal memory. You can use Tenorshare Android Data Recovery to recover data from locked Android phone.