How to Fix iPhone Black Screen during/after iOS 16 Update
by Jenefey Aaron Updated on 2022-09-27 / Update for iOS 16
After updating to iOS 16, my iPhone 13 is stuck on a black screen; is there any way for her to manually restore her iPhone?
Especially after the iOS 16 upgrade, there are times when an iPhone user's screen would abruptly go black, rendering the device unusable. If you have had the iPhone black screen of death problem after installing the update, there are a number of solutions you can try. Read on and we’ll show you how to get rid of black screen on iPhone.
- Why is iPhone Stuck on Black Screen after iOS 16 Update?
- Solution 1: Charge Your iPhone and Perform a Forced Restart
- Solution 2：Use Tenorshare ReiBoot Fix iPhone Black Screen without Data Losshot
- Solution 3: Update or Restore iPhone to Fix iPhone Black Screen [Data Loss]
- Solution 4: Fix iOS 16 Black Screen by Restoring iPhone via DFU Mode
- Solution 5: Contact Apple Support to Get iPhone Black Screen Repaired
Why is iPhone Stuck on Black Screen after iOS 16 Update?
Before jumping to the specific solutions, let’s explore the main reasons that can be behind the iPhone black screen of death issue on iOS 16.
- Software bugs in your iPhone’s OS installation
- Bad or incorrect iOS 16 update
- Buggy or crashed Third-Party Apps
- Fatal system errors
- Battery-related issues
- Hardware problems
After figuring out the causes why your iPhone screen went black during or after iOS 16 update, you can move forward with the fixes mentioned below.
Solution 1: Charge Your iPhone and Perform a Forced Restart
When your iPhone battery runs out, your iPhone screen will go completely blank and won't turn on until the battery get enough juice. In this case, you can connect your iPhone to the power source and leave it on charge for at least 15 minutes, regardless of whether the charging sign shown on the screen or not.
15 minutes later, you can start to perform a force restart e which can also solve the iOS 16 black screen of death due to minor issues. Let’s see how to restart iPhone when screen is black.
- Press and release the volume up button first.
- Press and release the volume down button quickly after that.
- Finally, only press and hold the Side button until the iPhone logo appears on the screen of your iPhone. Wait a few seconds now.
Solution 2：Use Tenorshare ReiBoot Fix iPhone Black Screen without Data Losshot
If a force restart doesn’t work to fix a black screen on iPhone, you can try using Tenorshare ReiBoot. As an all-in-one tool for repairing iOS system issues, ReiBoot can help you quickly get out of all kinds of iPhone stuck issues such as iPhone stuck on Apple logo, reboot loop, black screen, etc. With a few clicks, all the iOS 16 black screen issues including iPhone stuck on black screen with apple logo and iPhone black screen spinning wheel, can be resolved easily without causing data loss.
Here are how to fix a black screen on iPhone using ReiBoot.
Run Tenorshare ReiBoot after downloading and installing it on your Mac or PC, then connect your iPhone to it.
Click Start. If your iPhone is still responding even with a blank screen, then ReiBoot can locate your device and start the process. If not, then follow the on-screen prompts to get it detected.
Once your gets detected, click Fix Now and you will find that two options are provided. To fix iPhone screen of death without data loss, choose "Standard Repair."
The next step is to get the most recent firmware. To get the appropriate firmware online, click the Download button.
Once the firmware download is complete, click "Start Standard Repair." Throughout the procedure, you shouldn't remove your iPhone.
Your iPhone will reboot once it is done. Congratulation, you’ve successfully fixed the iPhone stuck on black screen on iOS 16.
Video Guide: How to Fix iPhone Stuck on Black Screen
Solution 3: Update or Restore iPhone to Fix iPhone Black Screen [Data Loss]
In The third method on how to get rid of black screen on iPhone, you are going to need iTunes, a tool that is helpful in solving any iOS update and restore errors. If you’re having problems with your device during/after the iOS 16 update, for example, iPhone gets stuck on black screen, is frozen, won’t turn on or you’re facing iPhone black screen spinning wheel, you may need to put it into recovery mode. Then update or restore it to its default settings with the help of iTunes.
Please note that by restoring iPhone, it means all your information and settings will be erased in the process.
- First of all, confirm that your Mac is up to date. If you’re using a Windows PC, make sure you have the most recent version of iTunes installed.
Keep your iPhone connected to the computer and follow the steps below to enter Recovery mode.
- Press the volume up button, then immediately let go of it.
- Press the volume down button, then swiftly quit.
After that, hold down the side button until the recovery mode screen appears.
On iTunes, you will have the option to update or restore your device.
Tap update first to re-download and reinstall the software without losing data.
- If updating doesn’t work, click “Restore ” and your computer erases your device and installs the latest iOS 16 software.
- The update or restore process may take more than 15 minutes, so Wait patiently for the process to complete. Once done, follow the prompts to set up your device .
Solution 4: Fix iOS 16 Black Screen by Restoring iPhone via DFU Mode
DFU mode is a last-ditch kind of remedy, so think of it as a best but difficult option after all other options have failed to fix iOS 16 black screen issue or iPhone stuck on black screen with apple logo. Entering DFU mode can be a bit challenging and requires precise timing, so please follow every step carefully.
Let's see how to fix your iPhone when the screen goes black after iOS 16 update.
- Connect it to your PC or Mac, where the most recent version of iTunes has already been downloaded.
- Quickly press and let go of the volume up button, quickly press and let go of the volume down button, and then press and hold the side button until the screen goes completely black.
- While continuing to press and hold the Side button, press and hold the volume down button for about 5 seconds.
Now, release the Side button while keep holding the volume down button for 10 seconds.
With your iPhone showing a completely black screen, click “OK" on the pop-up message that opens in iTunes and then “Restore iPhone" to begin the restore process.
There you go! When the restore completes, the iOS 16 black screen of death should disappear.
Solution 5: Contact Apple Support to Get iPhone Black Screen Repaired
In the unlikely event of your iPhone not working black screen after restore, consider contacting Apple support team. You can visit the Apple official support page to report any problems with your device. The Apple executives will assist you in solving the problem. If the iPhone stuck on black screen issue can not be resolved online, make a Genius Bar appointment and take your iPhone to the nearby Apple shop to obtain assistance if it is still covered by a warranty or an AppleCare subscription.
In the above guide, we’ve covered five ways how to fix your iPhone when the screen goes black. If you want to get the iOS 16 black screen of death issue repaired without losing any data, the best course of action would be repair the iOS system using Tenorshare ReiBoot, as ReiBoot offers you a simple and effective solution.