iPad is Disabled How to Unlock 2023
There are times when your iPad says iPad is disabled, leaving you in a state of confuse and frustration. It might be caused by forgotten passcode, repeated incorrect passcode entries, or software glitches. We understand the distress that comes with a disabled iPad, so we explore the causes behind and provide 3 practical solutions to help you regain control to your iPad.
- Part 1: Why is My iPad Disabled
- Part 2: How Long Can iPad Stay Disabled
- Part 3: iPad is Disabled How to Unlock in 3 Ways
- 1. Unlock Disabled iPad via iPad Unlocker [Best]
- 2. Restore Disabled iPad with iTunes
- 3. Erase Disabled iPad by iCloud
- Part 4: iPad is Disabled vs iPad Unavailable
Part 1: Why is My iPad Disabled
The most common reason for iPad is disabled, like what we have said, is because you have tried entering the incorrect passcode a lot of times. The iPad will lock itself as a precautionary measure to protect your data. And iPad is disabled can also mean your iPad has a software or hardware issue.
Part 2: How Long Can iPad Stay Disabled
The duration of iPad being disabled depends upon the number of incorrect passcode attempts you have made. For example, if you enter the wrong passcode six times, your iPad is disabled for 1 minute. Seven times, it is disabled for 5 minutes. Eight times means 15 minutes. Nine times corresponds to 1 hour. And upon ten times, it will say iPad is disabled connect to iTunes.
There are also cases that iPad is locked for years after too many times. So how to enable a disabled iPad? Keep reading.
Part 3: iPad is Disabled How to Unlock in 3 Ways
We now come to the side of things where we will fix iPad is disabled. In our list, we have the mostly used 3 ways to unlock disabled iPad without passcode. Note that they all cause data loss, and you can restore your iPad from a backup after that.
1. Unlock Disabled iPad via iPad Unlocker
The first way is an iPad unlocker - Tenorshare 4uKey. Using 4ukey, we can remove the forgotten passcode from all models of iPads and iPhones. And it will unlock disabled iPad in a few clicks. Read below to find out.
Download, install and run 4uKey on your computer. Click on Start and connect your disabled iPad to the computer.
Once the iPad is recognized, click on Next to proceed.
Download the appropriate firmware package on your computer and wait for the download to complete.
Click Start Remove. Once the process ends, your iPad will be reset and unlock.
2. Restore Disabled iPad with iTunes
The second method many users might choose is iTunes, which fixes iPad is disabled via Restore iPad. For people who regularly use iTunes to manage their iPhone and iPad data, they feel comfortable with this approach. If not, you might spend an extra minute or two as for how to connect to itunes when ipad is disabled.
- Open iTunes on your computer. Keep your disabled iPad the computer connected via a USB cable.
Put your iPad into recovery mode. A success pop-up will show up on iTunes. Click on Restore.
- Your iPad will be restore and updated in a few minutes.
3. Erase Disabled iPad by iCloud
Using iCloud to fix iPad is locked is the third method on our list. All you need is remembering your Apple ID credentials that has been signed in on the disabled iPad.
- Go to https://www.icloud.com on another device. Login using your Apple ID and password.
- Now click on Find iPhone. It will search for all the devices associated with this iCloud account.
Look for the disabled iPad. Select it and then click on Erase iPad.
- Confirm this action and see the iPad be erased and restart in a few minutes.
Part 4: iPad is Disabled vs iPad Unavailable
Some people find that their iPad says iPad Unavailable instead of iPad is disabled on the lock screen. What's the difference and is it the same to fix iPad Unavailable? Let us explain.
On older iPadOS versions, older than iPadOS 15.2 to be precise, we get the iPad is disabled message when we enter wrong passcodes multiple times. And after 10 wrong attempts, we need a computer to fix this issue showing iPad is disabled connect to iTunes.
While iPads running iPadOS 15.2 and later, you will see iPad unavailable. Besides, you will see Erase iPad option, which can be used to reset iPad without passcode. No computer needed. How? Read here.
Tap on Erase iPad under iPad Unavailable. Tap on the button again on the next screen.
- Then enter the password of the Apple ID which has been logged into the iPad already.
- After that, factory reset process will begin. This will enable you to use the iPad as new again.
You might forget your iPad passcode and enter the wrong passcode many times to get your iPad disabled and locked. In this situation, you can use Tenorshare 4uKey when iPad is disabled. You can also apply to iCloud and iTunes to fix disabled iPad. Try the above ways and gain access to your iPad again.