WhatsApp on New Phone Missing Messages How to Get Back
You buy a new phone and set up your WhatsApp but only see WhatsApp messages missing on new phone. In other cases, you use WhatsApp on your new phone but accidentally delete some chats. These things happen a lot. In this article, we will tell you why people face this issue in the first place, how can we make sure to avoid this problem, and how to solve WhatsApp on new phone missing messages if encountered.
- Part 1: Why My WhatsApp Messages Disappear on New Phone
- Part 2: Will I Lose WhatsApp Messages If I Change Phone
- Part 3: Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages on New Phone from Backup
- Part 4: Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages on New Phone from Old Phone
- Part 5: How to Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages without Backup
Part 1: Why My WhatsApp Messages Disappear on New Phone
1. The reason for WhatsApp on new phone missing messages could be you didn't back up WhatsApp on your old phone, or you weren't concentrating while setting up WhatsApp and missed the step to restore WhatsApp data on your new phone.
2. It's also possible that you did take a backup and also restored it on your new phone, but the backup itself is not up-to-date. That is, you used WhatsApp after the last backup on your old phone and the messages you sent and received in the meantime were not saved in the backup, resulting in these WhatsApp messages lost on your new phone after restore.
3. The third reason is about not the previous backup. You just accidentally delete the WhatsApp messages on new phone. Or the messages you find missing are Disappearing Messages, which will be automatically deleted after a period of time and cannot be found back unless you have saved them beforehand.
Part 2: Will I Lose WhatsApp Messages If I Change Phone
The answer is yes and no. When you change phone, the data on your old phone will not be changed to new phone directly. You have to transfer the data.
And for WhatsApp messages, you will lose WhatsApp messages after changing phone unless you restore messages from backup properly while setting up WhatsApp on your new phone. And that is why we say backup is vital.
Of course, if you do not want to take a backup, you can directly restore WhatsApp messages to new phone with applications such as Move to iOS or iCareFone Transfer. Anyway, you have to do something to ensure no missing WhatsApp messages on new phone.
Part 3: Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages on New Phone from Backup
The first method applies when you backed up the lost WhatsApp messages before missing on your new phone. For android phones, the backup is saved on Google Drive or local storage while iPhone saves WhatsApp backup in iCloud.
- Reinstall WhatsApp on your new phone. While setting up, make sure to use the same phone number which you used on the previous phone.
- When WhatsApp finds a backup, tap on the option of Restore to restore messages.
- Depending upon the size of your backup, it will take some time, so please wait.
- Install WhatsApp and set it up using the same iCloud account and phone number.
Once WhatsApp finds the backup, tap on Restore Chat History.
- This will restore your chats on old phone and solve new phone lost WhatsApp messages.
Part 4: Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages on New Phone from Old Phone
If you skip the restore process while setting up on your new phone, you can try to reinstall WhatsApp and set it up again to restore backup. If that fails, there is another way to recover lost WhatsApp messages on new phone, which works for some people.
- Get back to your old phone, open WhatsApp, and sign in with your account.
- Although you have use WhatsApp on new phone, the previous data including missing messages might be still saved in the phone’s local storage.
- You can then restore these old data from local backup.
- Back it up again and then go to your new phone and restore this backup in WhatsApp.
Part 5: How to Recover Lost WhatsApp Messages without Backup
Now, if you did not backup your lost WhatsApp messages and want to get them back, use a WhatsApp data recovery tool, Tenorshare UltData WhatsApp Recovery. This is specifically for the third reason we mentioned in the first part. Ultdata WhatsApp Recovery will WhatsApp messages on any phone without backup.
On your computer, install UltData WhatsApp recovery and click on Device. Then select Android.
Now connect your phone to the computer and then enable USB debugging on it. You may use the on screen instructions to help you.
Click on Start once your phone has been detected successfully and a stable connection is ensured.
The program tells you to back up your WhatsApp data to avoid any data loss.
UltData will then automatically back up the data, uninstall WhatsApp and then install it again. Follow the instructions.
After the process, you will see all of the recovered WhatsApp data. Select all the data that you want to recover.
Missing WhatsApp messages new phone is the problem we explained in detail and provided appropriate solutions. You can solve the problem at hand and get back your lost messages on new phone. In any case, the importance of backups cannot be stressed more. You can also use UltData WhatsApp Recovery to recover lost WhatsApp messages new phone.
- Recover deleted WhatsApp messages from Android devices;
- Recover deleted WhatsApp data directly from iOS devices;
- Support the scanning and reading of encrypted iTunes backup files;
- Support 7+ file types (contacts, photos,chats,voice messages, etc.);
- Compatible with latest iOS 17 and Android 12/13.