iOS 16/15.5 Locked out of iPhone after Update? 5 Ways to Fix It
"Just updated to iOS 15.5 and can't enter passcode to unlock my iPhone. I tap on the numbers and they highlight but do not get accepted. I am now unable to gain access to iPhone."
Till now there is no clear reason that can explain why iPhone is locked after update iOS 16/15.5. If you are unlucky to have the same trouble and want to fix iPhone won't unlock problem, here are 5 ways to help you get past the lock screen.
- Way 1: Try Default Passcode First
- Way 2: Force Restart Your iPhone
- Way 3: Restore Your Device with iTunes
- Way 4: Erase iPhone without iTunes (iOS 15.2 or Later)
- Way 5: Unlock Password Protected iPhone using 4uKey
Way 1: Try Default Passcode First
If iPhone requires passcode after update while you have never set it up before, a small trick yet has not been officially verified is typing 123456 or 1234 depending on the passcode digits. Some of the users proved this method workable, and maybe you can also close this problem.
Way 2: Force Restart Your iPhone
If the above attempts failed, you are suggested to force reboot the device to see if the problem that iPhone locked and won't accept passcode can be solved.
- On iPhone 14/13/12/11/XS/XR/X/8/SE: Press the Volume Up and Down button accordingly, then long hold the side button till it reboots and shows Apple logo.
- On iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold up Power button and Volume Down button together. Release both keys when Apple logo appears.
On iPhone 6/6s/5 and earlier, it's Power button and Home button.
Way 3: Restore Your Device with iTunes
Making an up-to-date backup is always recommended, which can help save a lot of trouble. For example, if iPhone won't unlock after update to iOS 16/15.5, you are good to restore with iTunes and get iPhone back to normal. However, you will lose all the data supposing there is no backup available.
- Connect your iPhone with iTunes and press certain keys to enter Recovery Mode screen.
- iTunes will detect your iPhone in Recovery Mode and ask you to restore the device.
- Once the device is restored successfully, your iPhone will be initialized with Hello Screen.
- Set up your iPhone. After that, choose Restore from iCloud/iTunes backup if there is. Or you can only choose to set up as new iPhone.
Way 4: Erase iPhone without iTunes (iOS 15.2 or Later)
iPhone locked after update? If you’re using the iOS 15.2 or later system like iOS 16/15.5, then you can directly erase the device and set it up again. You need to make sure you’ve signed in your Apple ID on the device and the device must have a network connection.
- Enter the password until the notification says “Try again in ... minutes” and you see “Erase iPhone” option on the lower right.
Tap on it and read the notes, then tap Erase iPhone and you’ll need to enter your Apple ID password.
- Then tap erase and wait for several minutes. After the process completes, you can set up your device again.
If your iPhone and iPad is below iOS 15.2, but you have enabled Find My, then you can also erase iPhone with iCloud Find My while facing iPhone wont unlock.
Way 5: Unlock Password Protected iPhone using 4uKey
For problems like iPhone won't unlock after update even if it's correct, or iPhone asking for passcode that I never set, another solution is to use iPhone passcode unlock software. As a recommendation, you may take Tenorshare 4uKey into consideration, which can remove iPhone screen passcode in few minutes.
Now I will show you how to use 4uKey to solve iPhone passcode required after iOS 16/15.5 update.
Connect your iPhone with 4uKey after installation and click Start to move on.
Next, read the notes and click Next to proceed.
Download latest iOS firmware package online, which may take a few minutes.
When the firmware is downloaded, click Start to Remove to remove passcode.
When you see your iPhone restarts, 4uKey have successfully removed the passcode, and you can use the device as a new one now.
I am sure now you won't have any problems if locked out of iPhone after update. Try any of the ways described above, and after that, you can set up a new passcode freely. And if iPhone won't unlock, use Tenorshare 4uKey to help you out without password. Share this article if it's helpful.