How to Fix Google Play Services Won't Update? 
Android devices are run by Google Play Services. These Google Play Services make the integration of Google functionalities easier by connecting everything in your Android device. That’s why your older phones get advanced features without any software update. In simple words, Google play services act as a bridge between your Android operating system and App functionalities. In case you can’t update Google play services and looking for how do I fix Google Play services not updating then keep reading this article.
- Part 1: Why Can't I Update Google Play Services?
- Part 2: 6 Common Fixes for Google Play Services Not Updating
- Part 3: 3 Advanced Methods to Try When Google Play Services Won't Update
Part 1: Why Can't I Update Google Play Services?
Here we have listed some common causes of Google play services not updating. Have a look at them.
- Custom ROM incompatibility: If you have a custom ROM installed on your Android device, it can cause errors when trying to update Google Play Services.
- Insufficient storage: When you update an app, it requires more space than before. Over time, this can lead to a shortage of storage on your device, preventing Google Play Services from updating.
- Corrupted Google Play Components: Occasionally, issues with the Google Play Components can interfere with the updating process.
- Excessive App installations: Installing too many apps on your device can contribute to problems with updating Google Play Services.
- Excessive cache accumulation: Having too much cached data stored can cause certain apps, including Google Play Services, to behave abnormally.
By addressing these common issues, you can improve the update process for Google Play Services.
Part 2: 6 Common Fixes for Google Play Services Not Updating
In this section, we have discussed some common fixes you can try how to fix Google play services update problem.
Way 1. Restart Your Device
Restarting your device in any problem is the first tip anyone can recommend to you. So, simply do this trick when Google play services won’t update because it fixes some software and system glitches. Moreover, when you restart your device, it clears RAM and helps the apps to work properly.
Way 2. Check Your Network Connection
If you can’t update Google play services then check your network connection especially when you are using mobile data to download an app. Turning on airplane mode for 30 seconds and then turning it off also help to resolve the issue.
Way 3. Clear Google Play Services Cache and Data
That being said, having too much cache also make an app misbehave. So, make sure you clear the cache file from time to time to avoid such issues.
- 1. Go to the Settings on your Android device
- 2. Look for “Apps” and find “Google Play services” and tap on it
3. Press “Storage” and clear the cache data.
Way 4. Logout of Your Google Account and Log Back In
Just logging out and logging back into your Google account also helps your account to be more recognizable for Google servers. It also fixes some bugs and resolves the Google play services won’t update problem.
- 1. Go to the Android “Settings”.
- 2. Find the “Accounts” option and tap on it.
- 3. Find your Google account from the list and tap on the “Remove account” option.
3. Again, sign in to your Google account.
Way 5. Set Correct Date and Time
Having an incorrect date and time won’t help you to get any updates from the server. You should also make sure the Date and Time on your device are correct.
- 1. Head over to Settings > System > date and time
2. Enable automatic date and time or manually edits the figures
Way 6. Uninstall Google Play Services Updates and Try to Update again
Sometimes, this problem exists due to a previously installed update. So, if you can’t update Google play services then remove all the updates and bring it back to the original state. Later you can update it again. Here is how to do it.
- Open Settings > Apps and notifications.
- Next navigate to Google Play Services and click on it.
Press the 3-dots menu to display “Uninstall updates” and touch it.
- Lastly, restart your device and give it a few minutes to update.
Part 3: 3 Advanced Methods to Try When Google Play Services Won't Update
After discussing the common fixes here are three advanced methods which can help you if you can’t update Google play services on android.
Way 1. Repair Android System with a Few Clicks
Starting with the most effective solution to fix Google play services not updating, Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android is an excellent option to repair your android system. If the underlying reason for this issue is the incompatible custom ROM or Google play component corruption then you need a repairing firmware to repair your Android system. Tenorshare ReiBoot is a professional tool that helps you to fix such issues in just one click and bring back your device to its normal functionality. Here is how it works.
Download and install the software on your computer and connect the Android device to your PC. Click on “Repair Android system” to get started.
On the next interface, click “Repair now”.
Next select the correct device information.
Once you are done with selecting the device information next download a corresponding firmware package.
Once it’s downloaded then click on “Repair now” to get started with system repair.
Video Guide: Repair Android System to Normal At Your Finger
Way 2. Perform a Software Update
Updating the current software of your Android device to the latest available also helps to resolve the issue. If Google play services cannot be updated then you must try updating the software of your Android device. Here is how to do it.
- 1. Go to “Settings” > About phone
2. Next check for updates, and install if any updates are available
Way 3. Factory Reset Your Device
Lastly, if nothing worked out for you to fix Google play services no updating then factory resetting your device is the last resort. Remember that this method will wipe out all the data so has a backup for your important data in case you want to use this method.
- 1. Go to Settings > Backup & Reset.
- 2. Select Factory reset > reset phone.
3. It will wipe out all the data and restore your Android device to its initial state.
Google play services are the important services connect your whole Android device. In case, you are experiencing Google play services won’t update then try the common and advanced fixes we have discussed. Don’t forget to try Tenorshare ReiBoot for Android as it allows you to repair your android device deeply and fix the issue in no time.