iPhone Microphone Not Working? Know Fixes Fast Here
After upgrading to the new iOS 16, some users have reported the issue with the iPhone microphone not working properly. Your iPhone's microphone plays a vital role in many essential functions, such as FaceTime, making phone calls, and recording audio in apps. Further, Siri also requires the microphone to respond to voice commands. To avoid these inconveniences, we have the best solution. Here are the top 9 ways to fix an iPhone microphone not working.
- Fix 1: Test Your Microphone Firstly
- Fix 2: Ensure Your Apps Have Permission
- Fix 3: Turn off Bluetooth for Disconnect Any Audio Accessories
- Fix 4: Troubleshoot iPhone Microphone Not Working Caused by Program
- Fix 5: Restart Your iPhone
- Fix 6: Clear the Microphones
- Fix 7: Disable Phone Noise Cancellation
- Fix 8: Update iOS System
- Fix 9: Reset All Settings
Fix 1: Test Your Microphone Firstly
It is crucial to perform a test as a troubleshooter using various apps to identify the problem when the iPhone mic not working. The iPhone has three different microphones, one at the bottom for calls, one at the back for recording audio/video, and one at the earpiece for listening to phone calls.
If your mic not working on phone, then check your device by performing the following steps:
- Go to the “Voice Memos" app. Tap the Red "Record” button to begin recording audio from the microphones.
- Speak into the microphone, and make sure you speak loudly and clearly.
- Tap the stop button to stop the recording.
Play back the recording and listen to it to ensure the audio is clear and the microphone is working properly.
Fix 2: Ensure Your Apps Have Permission
Any app that requires a mic to function has not been granted permission to access the iPhone microphone. This permission can cause an iPhone mic not working issue for that particular app. To fix this issue, follow these steps:
- Go to“Settings". Tap on “Privacy."
- Tap on “Microphone."
Check the list of apps and ensure the toggle switch next to the app you want to use the microphone with is turned on.
Fix 3: Turn off Bluetooth for Disconnect Any Audio Accessories
Your iPhone may use an external microphone if connected to a Bluetooth device. It is a continual issue for those who use a smart home device or Bluetooth headphones. Follow the steps if your iPhone microphone is not working:
Step 1:Go to the app "Settings". Tap on "Bluetooth."
Step 2:Find the device you want to unpair.
Step 3:Click on the “More Info” button and forget this connected device.
Step 4:When you reconnect this Bluetooth device, the mic will start working again.
Fix 4: Troubleshoot iPhone Microphone Not Working Caused by Program
Tenorshare ReiBoot is a better solution for iPhone issues, such as the mic not working on phone, which you can do without losing any of your device’s data. After you have connected your device to your computer, the tool fixes these issues with a single touch. Follow these steps to fix microphone issues:
First, install and launch ReiBoot on your PC, then connect your phone. Select the "Start" option on the main interface window.
Choose "Standard Repair" mode and enter into the next step.
Click the "Download" option to obtain the latest firmware package.
Select "Start Standard Repair" after the download is complete to initiate the recovery process for your iPhone.
Fix 5: Restart Your iPhone
Sometimes a simple restart or reboot of your iPhone can resolve microphone issues. The process requires closing all the open apps and refreshing the system processes running in the background. Restarting the iPhone can resolve various major or minor problems caused by glitches or bugs. If your iPhone microphone not working properly, then try restarting the device.
Fix 6: Clear the Microphones
If the iPhone microphone not working and produce a muffled sound or no sound, then clean it gently. Sometimes with time, accumulated oil, dust, and sweat can block the microphone. To clean, follow these steps:
1. Turn off your iPhone. Gently remove any debris from the microphone using a soft-bristled brush.
2. Use the brush to clean around the edges of the microphone and in the microphone holes.
3. Turn on your iPhone and test the microphone to ensure it's working properly.
Fix 7: Disable Phone Noise Cancellation
iOS enables noise cancellation to reduce ambient noise by default when users speak on the phone. Sometimes this feature can muff your voice when you are on call with someone.
If you want to disable phone noise cancellation to check if the iPhone microphone not working, follow the below steps:
- Go to the app “Settings". Select "Accessibility" then “Audio/Visual."
Turn off the “Noise Cancellation toggle".
Fix 8: Update iOS System
Updating your iPhone is essential for keeping your device secure and free from bugs and getting the latest security updates. Apple issues regular updates, which you should install right away. Resets and system checks can also resolve any minor issues which you may be experiencing. If your iPhone microphone not working and you want to do this, follow the following steps:
- Go to “Settings”.Tap on “General.”
- Tap on “Software Update.”
- If an update is available for your device, you will see a notification, "download and install it.”
After the update is installed, your phone will restart.
Fix 9: Reset All Settings
Sometimes you change your iPhone setting, which may cause the iPhone microphone not working among issues. To resolve the microphone problem and similar issues, follow these steps to reset all the settings on your iPhone:
1. Open the app “Setting". Click on the "General."
2. Tap on "Reset". Select "Reset All Settings."
3. Enter your “Passcode". Confirm by tapping "Reset All Settings" again.
4. After completing the resetting process, your iPhone will restart automatically.
There are various methods to resolve the iPhone microphone not working problem. These methods include cleaning the microphone, resetting all the settings, testing the microphone using different apps, checking for Bluetooth connections, granting the app permission to use the microphone, and restarting the device.
If these steps do not resolve the microphone issue, consider a software solution like Tenorshare ReiBoot to diagnose and fix the problem.