How to Fix iTunes Error 14 or iPhone Error 14
"I have an iPhone 6 recently I tried updating my phone via iTunes and I received an error (14) and now the phone is stuck in recovery mode."
The iTunes error 14, so called iPhone error 14, always happens when you are trying to update or restore your iPhone/iPad with iTunes. You may be wondering what the error is and whether there are feasible ways to solve iPhone could not be updated error 14. Read on and you'll find answers in this article.
- Part 1: Possible Causes of iTunes Error 14
- Part 2: Common Ways to Fix iPhone Error 14
- Part 3: Fix iPhone Update Error 14 with ReiBoot Pro
- Part 4: Fix iTunes Error 14 with iTunes Repair Tool - TunesCare
Part 1: Possible Causes of iTunes Error 14
The error 14 on iTunes usually occurs when you restore or update your iDevice via iTunes. The causes of error 14 can be:
- Defective USB ports or damaged USB cable. You are recommended to use the original Apple-supplied USB cable, also keep the USB port clean.
- Security software or firewall. Sometime your iPhone can be recognized as a potential threat to computer if there are running security software or firewall. You can disable these software and try again.
- Unstable network connection. A stable network is necessary for the operation between iTunes and iOS devices during update or restore.
- Due to an outdated iOS or iTunes.
- Jailbreaking iOS devices. If you are using a jailbroken iOS device and trying to restore in iTunes, you are also likely to get error code 14.
Part 2: Common Ways to Fix iPhone Error 14
Way 1: Check Your USB Connections
When it comes to fix iPad error 14, the first thing is to check your USB connection in following ways:
- Use the USB cable that came with your device. If you don't have it, try a different Apple USB cable.
- Switch to a different USB port on your computer. Don't plug into your keyboard.
- Plug into a different computer.
If you succeed in fixing iTunes restore error 14, it proves that this error caused by your USB connection. But, if none of the above steps didn’t help you fix error code 14 iTunes, try to fix with the following.
Way 2: Reboot Your PC/Mac
When you encountered iTunes error code 14 when update or restore your iPhone, iPad, reboot your PC/Mac and your iPhone/iPad. Sometimes, simple but crucial measure really solves problem.
Way 3: Delete Downloaded Firmware Files and Update Again
Got iPhone unknown error 14 and when you tried updating again got the message the firmware is corrupted while downloading. In this case, you need to delete the previously downloaded update / upgrade file (iOS firmware file with .ipsw file extension).
- Close iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Delete the ipsw file download previously. The downloaded ipsw file is located at following locations depending upon your computer OS.
Mac OS X:
iPhone: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
iPad: ~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates
Windows Vista, 7, 8,10:
iPhone: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPad: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates
After that, restart your iTunes and update your device again.
Way 4: Hard Reset Your iPhone/iPad
iTunes error14 sometimes might be caused by software issue like software crash. This can be resolved by using Hard Reset. Follow the steps to perform a force restart on iPhone.
- On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up and Volume Down button. And then press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Power/Sleep buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
Way 5: Uninstall or turn off the security software
If you have security software install on your Mac/PC, you should switch off the security software, and attempt the restore and update again. If the error still persists, uninstall the security software, and then attempt the restore and update again.
Part 3: Fix iPhone Update Error 14 with ReiBoot Pro
Apple lists restore error 14 as a security software issue while many other sites take it as software related error. If you've tried all the iPhone error 14 hardware solutions but failed, try to use the professional iOS repairing tool Tenorshare ReiBoot. This system repair tool is aimed to fix 150+ types of iPhone system problems, including Apple logo stuck, iPhone recovery mode loop, iPhone black screen, etc.
We introduce ReiBoot with the feature of Deep Repair. Deep Repair has high success rate to fix iTunes error 14. If you want to quickly and completely fix this problem, try Deep Repair.
Run ReiBoot on your computer. Then click Repair Operating System, and please connect iPhone to your computer in advance.
On this screen, you will see Deep Repair on the bottom. Click Deep Repair. Deep repair will lead to data loss, it is recommended to make backups often.
When you in Deep Repair, it will remind you that 'Deep Repair will earse all data on your device'. If you want to solve this problem successfully, please click 'Fix Now' to confirm.
If you don't mind the data will be erased. Click 'Download' to start repairing.
Click 'Repair Now'.
The process is complete. Please follow the on-screen guide.
Part 3: Fix iTunes Error 14 with iTunes Repair Tool – TunesCare
If the problem is caused by iTunes, you can fix it by Tenorshare TunesCare, it is an expert iTunes repair software in fixing all kinds of iTunes errors when restoring or upgrading. Moreover, it also helps to repair various iTunes sync problems. Free download this versatile tool and follow the steps to fix iPhone could not be restored error 14 completely.
Download Tenorshare TunesCare and click "Fix All iTunes Issues" to fix your iTunes on computer.
If your iPhone performs abnormally, you will see the interface below. Click "Repair iTunes" to start downloading iTunes drives for repairing.
After downloading, Tenorshare TunesCare will automatically repair your iTunes. The repair process will take less than 2 minutes. After repairing completes, iTunes will restart automatically and now the error 17 should disappear.
We cover up the full ways to fix error 14 iPhone. Tenorshare TunesCare is the best iTunes repair software to fix iTunes sync or restore problems, and Tenorshare ReiBoot Pro is the iOS system repair software to fix iPhone system issues. If you fail to iTunes error 14 fix, you can try the recommended tool in this article.