How to Restore WhatsApp on iPhone and Android
WhatsApp is one of the most popular instant messaging present, Whatsapp already gained a huge number of users across the globe. You can now send text messages, photos, voice, videos and connect with your friends and family. One of the most common problem WhatsApp users have been facing is having trouble backing up chats and restoring data. Even you will need to restore WhatsApp when you switch your phone. Follow this detailed guide which explains how you can restore your previous chats and other data on Android phones and iPhone too.
Part 1: Restore WhatsApp Messages on iPhone
1. Restoring from iCloud Backup
Using iCloud instead of iTunes is much easier than using iTunes method, all you have to do is login to your iCloud account, turn it on and make backups whenever you need to. Before you dive into how to restore WhatsApp backup on iPhone just make sure that, you have backed up your WhatsApp via iCloud. Follow the below instructions carefully:
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Go to WhatsApp Settings > Chats -> Chat Backup; if there are backup files displayed on the screen, it means you have backed up WhatsApp before.
- Delete WhatsApp from your iPhone and reinstall it from App Store.
- Verify the phone number after installation and follow the on-screen instructions to store your chat history.
2. Restoring from iTunes Backup
Some prefer iTunes over iCloud because it won't require data and you can backup large data, including tons of videos and images. If you have made backup using iTunes and want to know how to restore WhatsApp messages using iTunes then follow given instructions carefully:
- Open iTunes on your computer or Mac.
- Now it is time to connect your iPhone to the computer. It may take few seconds to let iTunes recognize your device.
- Go to File -> Devices -> Restore from Backup. If you are using Windows computer, the File menu is off by default. Press Alt key to invoke the file option.
- Choose a backup from the list, you can see back up data, file size.
- The restore process will take time according to size of your data, please wait till it completes.
3. Directly Recover WhatsApp on iPhone
Tenorshare UltData is ultimate solution to all of your data loss problems, it will allow you to export backups and restore them when you want without affecting any other thing. It is very simple to use and provide one click solution to WhatsApp restore problem. This is how you can use to restore WhatsApp Data using Tenorshare UltData:
Connect your iPhone to PC and choose recovery mode. "Recover Data from iOS Device" mode is also the default mode. Your iPhone will be automatically detected by the tool.
You have option to either select what you exactly want to scan or recover or simply click on "Select All" option. Select All option will initiate a deep and thorough scan. Now tap on "Start Scan".
All the scanned files will be displayed. To recover, you can either select "Check all" option or just the "Only display the deleted items" option. Once you are done with the selection of files to be recovered, tap on "Recover". You can recover the files to computer or to your device.
Part 2: Restore WhatsApp Chats on Android
1. Restoring from Recent Backup
If you have any single backups of WhatsApp chat history on your phone then you will be able to recover chat history from those backups very easily. If you have deleted any Chat history or messages without backup by accident and don't know what to do then don't worry. you can still restore WhatsApp backup which includes deleted messages and attachments from the WhatsApp automatic backups feature. It is because WhatsApp automatically creates backups every day at 4 AM and keep them on your internal memory of your Android phone. What you will need in order to recover WhatsApp messages is to:
- Uninstall WhatsApp application that is already installed on your phone
- Now, Open Playstore and Reinstall WhatsApp
- Once it is installed, open it. You will see that it will prompt to restore your message history
- Tap restore and select the backup
2. Restore From Old Backups
If you want to know how to restore WhatsApp chat from older backups then follow this solution, this method can be used to restore chats more than 7 days old, follow the below instructions carefully:
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Open the WhatsApp database or backup folder. Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that file from "msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt7" to "msgstore.db.crypt7".
- Install WhatsApp again.
- When asked to restore, tap Restore.
These were some of the ways you can restore your WhatsApp on Android phones and iPhone too, we included bunch of methods and at the end also recommended all in one recovery tool for bot Android and iPhone.