Comprehensive Guide on How to Backup WhatsApp Messages/Chats (Both iOS & Android)
WhatsApp has emerged out to be as the most significant chatting application which is actively used by the Android as well as iOS users. Throughout the day a large amount of data is exchanged and shared hence it is very essential to know how to backup WhatsApp data in order to avoid any uncertainty. For the WhatsApp backup iPhone, there are multiple options and in this article we have come up with the detailed guide of every one of them.
- Part 1: Ways on How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on iOS(4 Ways)
- Part 2: Ways on How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on Android(3 Ways)
Part 1: Ways on How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on iOS(4 Ways)
To backup WhatsApp messages on iOS, you can simply follow certain steps by making a second copy of the data or files. Once you have started the backup then you can save the chats and data after it has been detected.
- Way 1: Backup WhatsApp Messages with iCareFoneFREE
- Way 2: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats with iCloud
- Way 3: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats/Messages with iTunes
- Way 4: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats/Messages by Email
Way 1: Backup WhatsApp Messages with iCareFoneFREE
With the Tenorshare iCareFone software, a user gets the complete access and backup for the chats and files without causing any space or storage trouble. Here's how to do it:
Step 1 Download and install iCareFone on your computer. Then, connect the iOS device, if you are asked for passcode, provide it.
Step 2 After establishing the connection, select "Backup & Restore" from iCareFone. In the following window, all the files will be selected by default but you can customize the selection as per your requirement. In this case, choose "WhatsApp & Attachments".
Step 3 Finally, click the "Backup" button below.
This is one of the easiest and efficient ways to make a backup of your iOS device quickly. The backup file will be stored on your computer, so, there will be no space limitation and you can view and backup data selectively.
Way 2: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats with iCloud
This is another way through which WhatsApp backup chat can be restored on iPhone or iPad. As the iPhone and iCloud are having the same framework so it can directly be performed without the interruption of any other tool. iCloud WhatsApp backup is certainly used by a number of users. In order to get the backup on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps.
- Step 1: Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Step 2: Tap on Settings followed by "Chat" and then "Chat Backup".
- Step 3: Tap on "Back Up Now" and your WhatsApp chat data will be uploaded to iCloud. You can also set up iCloud to store your chat data automatically.
- Step 4: Tap on "Auto Backup" and then tap on "Backup frequency". You need to tap on "Chat Backup" to go back to previous menu settings.
- Step 5: Now, tap on the switch beside "Include Videos", to include them. If you don't want then you don't have to.
This way you will be able to back up your WhatsApp chats using iCloud but remember that iCloud space is very limited. You get only 5GB free space after subscription but to increase the storage you have to pay.
Way 3: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats/Messages with iTunes
iPhone users are the frequent followers of iTunes as well. iTunes help to manage the entire backup data but its usage is quite typical. It will be impossible to selectively backup only the WhatsApp data with iTunes, you have to back up the whole iOS device to do it.
- Step 1: First, launch the updated version of iTunes on your device or system.
- Step 2: Go to the summary tab and under backup options tap over "Back up Now" button.
- Step 3: Keep in mind to select "This Computer" for backup instead of iCloud.
This would save entire chats in backup data on to the system.
Way 4: Backup iPhone WhatsApp Chats/Messages by Email
If you want to back up your WhatsApp chats from your iPhone, you have to launch the latest version of WhatsApp on your iPhone. Then follow these steps.
- Step 1: Make a selection with the chat you want to backup.
- Step 2: Find the options and then tap on "More".
- Step 3: Select "Email Chat" or "Email Conversations".
- Step 4: If you wish you can attach the media or files in the backup.
- Step 5: Tap over the email id over which you want to make the backup.
Part 2: Ways on How to Backup WhatsApp Messages on Android(3 Ways)
The compatibility among the Android devices is easy hence there are multiple options through which WhatsApp backup can be performed. These are:
- Way 1: For Backup to Export Android WhatsApp Chats to Computer
- Way 2: Backup WhatsApp Chats on Android with Google Drive
- Way 3: Automatically Backup Android WhatsApp Chats to Local Storage
Way 1: For Backup to Export Android WhatsApp Chats to Computer
To export Android WhatsApp chats to computer for backup you need a special third-party software. And we have that covered for you. UltData - Android Data Recovery is a potent backup tool that can selectively backup any type of data from your iPhone to computer. Here's how to use it:
Step 1 Download and install Tenorshare UltData for Android on your compute, then connect your phone to computer.
Step 2 Start scan and choose the required data. In this case choose "WhatsApp messages & attachments" and tap "Next".
Step 3 Preview and recover the recoverable data to computer.
As you can see, it is that easy to operate and backup your data with UltData for Android. Don't miss this software.
Way 2: Backup WhatsApp Chats on Android with Google Drive
Backup WhatsApp Chats with Google Drive is one of the easiest ways in order to perform a WhatsApp backup chat on Android. First of all, you have to just register a Google account which can be accessed from your device.
- Step 1: Install or launch WhatsApp on your device.
- Step 2: Click on the menu button and then tap "Settings" then "Chat".
- Step 3: Select the option of "Backup to Google drive" you can also select the frequency as per your wish.
- Step 4: Click backup and then wait for a while.
Way 3: Automatically Backup Android WhatsApp Chats to Local Storage
This is a convenient way to Backup WhatsApp messages and chat. There is an option where WhatsApp automatically stores the data daily or weekly basis to your local storage. Local backup is basically the automatic backup of your chat to your WhatsApp folder inside your local storage. This typically occurs daily at 2 A.M. The folder can be found inside your device's internal memory or SD card. To use local backup to automatically transfer WhatsApp chat, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Launch WhatsApp on Android, and navigate to Menu Button.
- Step 2: Tap Settings and then go to Chat backup from Chat.
- Step 3: Now tap Back Up, and simply choose "Back up to Google Drive" to "Never".
Now, WhatsApp chat will eventually back up the WhatsApp messages in your local storage only and that too automatically.
The cons of automatic backup to local storage:
- No automatic sync option available if you want to change your device. With iCloud Drive, you can instantly sync and restore your chat.
- If you accidentally delete the Whatsapp folder from your local storage, all your data and chats will be lost forever.
- Transferring data will be very cumbersome.
All the procedures mentioned in the article are very effective if you are trying to back up your WhatsApp conversations but there are also more than a few flaws associated with some of the procedures. Keeping that in mind, you should be avoiding such risky methods, it may take too much space for backup or it may cause loss of your WhatsApp data. But it looks like, UltData is exceptional on both Android and iOS, and it is flawless. We recommend using this particular tool for data backup.