Top 3 Methods to Recover Lost, Deleted Photos from iPhone 5c on Mac OS
To many iPhone 5c users, the iPhone photos mean a lot. Once the photos get deleted or missing after jailbreak, factory settings reset, iOS update, etc., it seems that they are gone for good. The truth is that you can recover pictures from iPhone 5c on Mac OS and there's more than one way. Here are 3 methods for you to choose from.
- Method 1. Have iPhone 5c backup -- Recover iPhone 5c photos from iTunes backup on Mac OS X
- Method 2. For jailbroken iPhone 5c -- Recover iPhone 5c photos on Mac with PhotoRec
- Method 3. Without iPhone 5c backup -- Restore iPhone 5c directly from iPhone on Mac
iTunes can back up your settings, Messages, Camera Roll, documents, saved games, and other data. And you'll then have an iTunes backup file on your PC which can be restored to your iOS device later when you need.
Cons: Erasing all data on iPhone 5c and replacing them with that in the backup file, no selective restoring; no preview.
For details on how to recover iPhone 5c camera roll on Mac with iTunes, check the post Backup and Restore with iTunes Backup.
PhotoRec is a free terminal application for jailbroken iPhone. It's compatible with about every major OS including OS X, DOS and Windows.
Cons: Only for jailbroken iPhones; no preview; no selective recovery; steps to use is pretty complicated and requires certain skills in order to go through the process.
For detailed steps on how to use PhotoRec, check Guide on How to Recover iPhone 5c Photos with PhotoRec.
For those who have no iPhone 5c backup, method 3 will be a perfect option. The third party software iPhone Data Recovery for Mac allows you to selectively recover only wanted items directly from iPhone. You can preview and then decide which images to recover. Download the free trial version to have a try.
Pros: Preview before recovery, selectively recover, recover files directly from iPhone.
Cons: Needs to be paid.
- Step 1: When you've downloaded iPhone Data Recovery for Mac to your MacBook Pro or other computer running Mac, install it. Then connect your iPhone 5c to Mac and run the program on Mac.
- Step 2: Scan iPhone 5c for lost pictures.
- Step 3: Preview the scanning results, choose photos and then recover pictures from iPhone 5c on Mac.
More detailed steps to perform iPhone 5c photo recovery on OS X could be found here on Guide on How to Use iPhone Data Recovery for Mac.
To sum up, Method 1 and Method 2 both have some limitations – one requires you have iPhone 5c backup and the other needs your iPhone to be a jailbroken one. If you want to be free from these limitations, choose Method 3 instead.