How to Fix iTunes Error 9 When Restoring/Upgrading Your iPhone/iPad
"I am trying to update my iPhone to iOS 10 but get the error 9 " The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (9)". Does anyone know where go from here?"
- Apple Community
- Way 1: Use Tenorshare TunesCare(Easy and Direct)
- Way 2: Check USB Port & Connector
- Way 3: Check Anti-Virus and Firewall
- Way 4: Update iTunes to Latest Version
- Way 5: Hard Reset Your iPhone/iPad
- Advanced Tool: One-click to Fix Restore Error
- Extra Tips--How to Backup and Restore without iTunes
What Does iTunes Error 9 Mean?
iTunes error 9 is a possible security software issue that usually comes up when you are trying to upgrade/restore your firmware on iPhone, iPad, or iPod. This could be firewall blocking access to specific websites/web resources (like iTunes trying to download something from Apple's servers). Below are 5 common factors that would cause iPhone error 9.
- Security software preventing access to the Apple servers.
- Firewall blocking access to the Apple servers.
- Network settings are corrupted.
- Jailbroken iPhone.
- Network database on the computer that was previously used to hack or jailbreak other iOS device and was corrupted.
Part 1: 5 Efficient Ways to Fix iTunes Error 9?
iTunes Error 9 is less common in contrast to Error 4014 or iTunes Error 3194 with which the users are more acquainted with. If you unfortunately meet this unknown error, follow 5 ways below to have a fix.
Way 1. Use Tenorshare TunesCare
Tenorshare TunesCare is the world's first iTunes repair software. It can fix iTunes sync problems and iTunes errors on iPhone X/8/8Plus/7/7 Plus/SE/6s/6s Plus/6/6 Plus/5s/5c/5 by one click.
1. All you need to do is install this freeware to your PC, and connect an iOS device to computer with USB cable.
2. And then click Fix iTunes Sync Problems to fix the iTunes library automatically
This one click solution can fix most iTunes issues, whereas, if you still receive the error 9, I recommend you to try "Fix All iTunes Issues", which is an advanced mode to fix complicated iTunes issues thoroughly.
Way 2. Check USB Port & Connector
iTunes error 9 may appear if there is an accident disconnection between the device and computer during the data transfer process. So follow steps below to check your USB connection in following ways:
- Use the USB cable that came with your device. If you don't have it, try a different Apple USB cable.
- Switch to a different USB port on your computer. Don't plug into your keyboard.
- Try to plug into a different computer.
Way 3. Check Anti-Virus and Firewall
When you try to upgrade your iPhone/iPad, iTunes connects to Apple, checks for hashes, security keys etc. If sometime during the attempt, iTunes is stopped from connecting to Apple's servers, it throws an error like iTunes error 9.
Make sure all virtualization apps like Parallels or VMWare are closed as these apps might interrupt the computer's ability to communicate via USB, especially if they are not configured properly, or outdated.
Way 4. Update iTunes to Latest Version
Check if the latest version of iTunes is installed on the Mac or other computer. If not, update iTunes to the latest version.
Way 5. Hard Reset Your iPhone/iPad
iTunes error related to software issue like software crash can be resolved by this method. Press and hold the Sleep/wake button and the Home button at the same time. Keep holding the buttons at least 10 seconds and release the buttons when the Apple logo appears. After that, try to charge your iPhone again.
We list 5 methods to fix iTunes error 9 which occurs during restoring/updating an iOS device, among which Tenorshare TunesCare is the best recommended and easiest way to repair iTunes issues.
Part 2: Advanced Tool--One-clik to Enter Recovery Mode Free to Avoid iTunes Error 9
Are you tired of encounyering errors when restore devices with iTunes? Here is an excellent tool for you. The Tenorshare ReiBoot is designed to help iPhone, iPad and iPod users to backup their device and restore from backup in case of data loss. This software can be your best choice when iTunes can't recognize your device or you can't backup/restore iTunes backup for other reasons. Moreover, it allows you selectively backing up data from device, which will save much valuable time.
Free download this freeware to your Windows or Mac. Remember back up your data with iCloud before you restore your device.
Guide to known how to use Tenorshare ReiBoot:
1. Connect your iOS device to computer via the OEM USB cable.
2. As Tenorshare ReiBoot detect your device, click "Enter Recovery Mode" to put your device to recovery mode automatically. If your device display the classic USB to iTunes logo, it enters recovery mode successfully.
3. Now run iTunes, iTunes will detect your device in recovery mode and you can restore your device with iTunes now.
Extra Tips--How to Backup and Restore without iTunes
Are you tired of encounyering errors when restore data with iTunes? Here is an excellent tool for you. The Tenorshare iCareFone is designed to help iPhone, iPad and iPod users to backup their device and restore from backup in case of data loss. This software can be your best choice when iTunes can't recognize your device or you can't backup/restore iTunes backup for other reasons. Moreover, it allows you selectively backing up data from device, which will save much valuable time.
Step 1: Connect your iOS device to computer and run the program. Click "Backup & Restore". Press "To view the previous backup files" in the lower left corner to check the backups.
Step 2: Tenorshare iCareFone will automatically load all the iTunes backups and list them out in this page. Check the backup you need to restore from and click the "Restore" button. After restoring, you device will reboot and contain all the data in the backup that you just restored from.
After learning the above solutions in fixing iTunes error (iPhone Error)9, I am believed that you have already known that which one is the best way to apply. If you have any other questions, leave a message at the comment place.