Can't Restore from iTunes Backup after iOS 9 Upgrade on Mac, What to Do?
Issue: Can't Restore, Corrupt Backup after Upgrading to iOS 9
"I needed to make space on iPhone because of the many videos she had on it. When I plugged the phone into our iMac, and connected to iPhoto to transfer the videos over the upload started as it normally does. However, during the middle of the transfer iTunes interrupted and informed that the phone was now upgrading to the newest software version (iOS 9). Unfortunately during this process the software update failed and the phone crashed. We were left with 2 options "restore from backup" or "restore iPhone". I tried several times to restore from the backup and we received the same error message 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or incompatible with iPhone that is being restored'."
You may encounter this issue: iPhone can't restore from iTunes backup after upgrading to iOS 9. It is an annoying thing, especially if all the important data is locked inside the backup. This post explains some solutions to fix this.
Solutions: Fix "Can't Restore from iTunes Backup after iOS 9 Upgrade on Mac" Issue
1. Restore iPhone Data with iPhone Care Pro for Mac (Easy and Fast)
When iTunes fails to restore from the backup of iPhone, the most important thing is to find an alternative to help restore from the backup, without the limitation of iTunes. iPhone Care Pro for Mac is such a great one. It works well on OS X 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion and etc.
- Connect iPhone to Mac. Launch the program and choose "Backup & Restore" from the main interface.
- Then the program will automatically load all the iTunes backup on your computer. Check the backup file you need to restore from and click the restore button. Click on the pop-up window to confirm the restore.
After restoring, your iPhone will restart. Now your iDevice contains the data in the backup you just restored from. All iPhone models are supported, including iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S.
2. Go to iTunes to Fix Can't Restore from iTunes Backup on Mac
- Quite iTunes first.
- Open the library folder in your home folder. (If you don't see one, hold down Option and click Go.)
- From here navigate to Application Support/MobileSync/Backup.
- Copy the backup folder to your desktop.
- Now, open iTunes. Click iTunes on the menu and then on Preferences.
- Click on the Devices tab.
- Copy the backup folder from the desktop and move them back to the Backup/folder.
- Restart iTunes and try to restore now.
The above-mentioned are the 2 ways that are mostly used to fix can't restore iTunes backup after iOS 10/9/8 upgrade on Mac. Solution 1 is 100% guaranteed to fix this issue while solution 2 sometimes doesn't work. Have more tweaks? Share with us!