How to Fix iPhone/iPad Won't Turn On After Update
Most of the times, Apple users complain that their iPhone won't turn on after update. This can be due to many reasons. Users complain that their device becomes dead once they update the iOS to the latest version. As the users seem to hunt for the solution, they also are in search for the possible causes that led them complaining: my iPad won't turn on after update.
Reasons for iPhone/iPad Won't Turn on after Update
Even though there are number of reasons for your device to be dead after an update, there are specific reasons that have a lion's share in this case. Well, if your iPad won't turn on after update, here are the possible reasons behind that:
- Not Enough Battery Power: As suggested by the Cupertino-based giant, you should always update your device to the newest iOS with ample amount of battery. If your device does not have sufficient juice, you can connect it to a power source and then proceed. Overlooking at this rule might lead to the issue in question.
- Corrupted Firmware: Sometimes, or say most of the times, it is the firm that is responsible for many issues. And if you think that your iPad will not turn on after update, a corrupted firmware might be the brain behind this.
- Software Glitch: Updating the software is a tricky task. Even though the process is simple, a slight error in the software by the company can cause a ripple effect leading to a big problem. And in such cases, you are absolutely helpless since you are not aware of the cause.
- Hardware Problem: And when the software is not the culprit, it is always the hardware. A malfunctioning component or a loose wire/connection might be the reason why your iPad mini won't turn on after update.
How to Fix iPhone Will Not Turn on after iOS Update
After understanding the possible reasons as to why your iPhone/iPad won't turn on, it is time for us to have a look at the solutions to this problem. Let us see…
Solution 1: Charge iPhone/iPad
If insufficient battery is the cause for your device to switch off after an update, then all you need to do is charge your device. Charging it for an hour or two might wake your device up. This is the simplest solution that you can use if your iPhone won't turn on after OS update.
Solution 2: Force Reboot iPhone/iPad
Force restarting your iPhone comes in handy when you are not aware of the probable cause that is resulting in the issue. Here are the steps for you to force restart your device if your iPhone won't turn on after latest update.
- Step 1: Long press the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously for at least 10 seconds till the Apple logo appears.
- Step 2: If you are using the latest iPhone X/8/8 Plus, then quickly press and release volume up and volume down button. Now long hold the Sleep button till handset restarts and Apple logo appears.
- Step 3: long hold the Sleep button and the Volume Down key till handset restarts and Apple logo appears.
- Step 4: If you are using a model earlier than iPhone 7, then long hold the Sleep button and the Home button till handset restarts and Apple logo appears.
Solution 3: Force iPhone into Recovery Mode
When your iPhone does not turn on after an update, it is simply because the device is unable to boot up. You can boot your device by entering the Recovery Mode. It is very simple. Here are the steps that can help you if your iPhone won't turn on after software update.
- Step 1: Turn off the device before beginning the process. Launch the iTunes on the computer.
- Step 2: Now before you connect your iPhone to the computer, press and hold the Home button.
- Step 3: Let go off the Home button when you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. Your iPhone is in Recovery Mode. To remove it out of the Recovery Mode, just long press the Sleep/Wake key.
Solution 4: Put iOS Device into DFU Mode
When entering the Recovery Mode is helpless, move a bit further and enter the DFU Mode. Entering the DFU mode is very simple. Follow the below steps.
- Step 1: Press Power and Home button together for 5 seconds. Keep pressing both the buttons until the device screen becomes black. Let go off the Power button and keep pressing the Home for 10 seconds. Your device is now in DFU mode.
- Step 2: Press down Power and Home button at the same time for almost 10 seconds. Let go off the Home button and carry on to press the Power button till the Apple logo appears, indicating that device is out of DFU mode.
Solution 5: Fix iPhone Won't Turn on without iTunes (No Data Loss)
Putting iPhone into DFU mode may cause data loss on iPhone. That's why you should try Tenorshare ReiBoot, a tool that helps to solve all iOS issues including the one that we are talking about. It helps to solve all issues related to iPhone and iPad. Here is the step-by-step guide to help you if your iPhone won't turn on after update failed.
Step 1: After you have launched the software on your PC and connected your device, tap on "Fix All iOS Stuck" option.
Step 2: Subsequently, click on "Fix Now" and then download the firmware package online for your iPhone. Click on Download for the process to begin.
Step 3: Now click "Start Repair." After a couple of minutes, your device will reboot automatically and updated to the latest version of iOS.
Solution 6: Restore iPhone via iTunes
Restoring your iPhone to that time when the issue was not present might be another option. You can do this from iTunes by selecting the appropriate backup. The only drawback is that you might lose some data. Here are the steps to restore your iPhone.
- Step 1: Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to the PC.
- Step 2: Select your device when in iTunes. Select "Restore Backup" option under the Backups section. Choose the appropriate database.
- Step 3: Click on Restore and let iTunes handle it from there.
Solution 7: Contact Apple
When the issue is caused due to hardware failure, then it is better to contact Apple. Do not experiment on your device and widen the issue. Head to Apple Care with your device to solve the issue.
In short, you had a look on all the possible methods that will help you if your iPad won't turn on after an update. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below.