How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC Using iTunes
iPhones have been, for a long time, the most popular camera phones. Although users capture high-quality photos, their iPhones, which do not have SD card slots, will eventually have their memory full. It is therefore important to know how to backup photos using iTunes. Transferring photos from iPhone to PC using iTunes is a simple and straight-forward process. This article explains how to do so.
Part 1. How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC with iTunes
Apart from purchasing and playing music, iTunes allows users to back up iPhone data such as settings, photos from Camera Roll, documents, and messages among other data types. Users can then restore them later on their devices. To transfer photos from iPhone to PC with iTunes, follow the procedure below.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and launch iTunes.
Step 2: Click on the device icon in the tab bar on the left side of the interface.
Step 3：Click on Back Up now on the Summary pane to start backing up your device.
Step 4: Hit Apply to start syncing.
All your photos will be backed up on iTunes. The iTunes back up file can be located under C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup.
Part 2. Why is not Recommended to Backup iPhone Photos Using iTunes
Backing up iPhone photos using iTunes has a number of disadvantages. The disadvantages include:
- You cannot access iPhone photos on computer as they are not readable.
- Users are unable to back up select the photos they would like to back up.
- All data such as videos, contacts, mail, TV shows, messages among others are backed up along with the photos.
- Backing up data on a different computer will erase all the content on your device and sync it with the current computer.
- A number of unexpected errors can occur such as iTunes error 5105 among others.
Part 3: How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC without iTunes
Considering iTunes has too many restrictions, we would recommend Tenorshare iCareFone as alternative solution to transfer photos from iPhone to PC. The advantages of using this iTunes alternative include:
- User-friendliness that makes it easy for users to transfer photos.
- Transfer photos without iTunes and iCloud.
- Compress and backup photos without loss in quality.
- Locate all photos in Camera Roll/ My Photo Stream and Photo Library/ Album.
- Fast photo-transfer speeds.
- No limit to the number of photos you wish to export and import.
- Transfer photos over a USB cable: Wi-Fi isn't required.
- Compatible with all versions of iOS 11/10/9/8, iPhone X/8/8+/7/7 Plus/6s/6s/6/5/SE and iPad Pro.
- Selectively transfer of photos that are then categorized according to folders and time.
To use iCareFone, follow the procedure below.
Step 1: Download, install and run Tenorshare iCareFone on your Windows 10/8.1/8/7 run PC.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3: Click the Manager tab on the home page if it's not selected by default and click Photos.
Step 4: Tenorshare iCareFone will automatically detect all photos and categorize each according to the folder. Browse then select the photos you wish to transfer, click the Export button and select a file location to save the photos. (The default location is the desktop.)
Extra Tip: Other Ways to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC
1. Using Windows File Explorer
iPhone users can transfer photos to their PC by using Windows File Explorer. Follow the procedure below.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.
Step 2: Hit Win + E keys to open Windows File Explorer or select "Open device to view files" when the dialog box appears.
Step 3: Click iPhone > DCIM > 100APPLE. Find this file directory under This PC.
Step 4: Copy the folder and paste it to another file location.
iCloud offers a great workaround for transferring photos to your PC from your iPhone. Users need to backup their photos on their iPhone and use iCloud for Windows on their PC. Follow the procedure below.
Step 1: Enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone: go to Settings > Photos & Camera then toggle on the iCloud Photo Library button.
Step 2: Run iCloud software on your Windows and log in using the same Apple ID credentials you used to set up iCloud on your iPhone.
Step 3: Click Options. It is positioned to the right of Photos.
Step 4: Check the iCloud Photo Library checkbox along with any other options you would like to have including iCloud Photo Sharing, My Photo Stream, etc. then click Done. All your photos will be synced to your computer.
Your photos are located under iCloud Photos which is found under Favorites, Favorites can easily be accessed by using File Explorer.
Transferring photos from iPhone to PC using iTunes is a simple process that has been outlined above. However, because of is restrictions and disadvantages, a great alternative to move iPhone photos is Tenorshare iCareFone since it offers selective high-speed transfer of photos, users can preview photos and can easily locate photos in all albums and folders.