Top 3 Ways to Transfer iTunes Library to New Computer
iTunes library contains your favorite music, TV shows, movies and other media files and enables you to enjoy them at any time you want. After buying a brand new PC or Mac, many people may want to transfer iTunes library to new computer to enjoy the songs, manage the data or create backups. However, it is not always that easy for everyone to copy iTunes music to a new computer. Here we are going to list 3 easy methods to help people move entire iTunes library to new laptop with ease.
External hard drivers can be the first choice for moving all kinds of data from one computer to another. Here’s how to transfer iTunes library to new computer using external hard drive:
- Plug an USB driver and then locate the iTunes folder, copy the library to the hard driver.
- Unplug the USB drive and plug it into a new computer, then simply copy the iTunes folder from the external drive to your new PC. Open iTunes->File-> Add to Library to import the files.
On Windows: navigate to C:\Users\computer name\Libraries\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media
iTunes Home Sharing allows to move items between different computer on the same network. This works on up to 5 computers and requires that they sign into iTunes using the same iTunes account.
- Open iTunes on the old computer and select “Home Sharing” on the left side of iTunes under “Shared”. Or you can click File->Home Sharing to turn on this feature.
- Now enter Apple account, and then click “Create Home Share”. You need to enable home sharing in both of your computers.
- When going through the steps to enable Home Sharing on the second machine, we were prompted to authorize the computer first. Click “Authorize” to get a successful authorization.
After enabling sharing on the second PC, all your music, Podcasts, Videos, Playlists, Apps in iTunes library will be shared from the old computer. The process of transferring iTunes library from Mac to Windows is the same.
The easiest way to export iTunes collections from one computer to another is using the professional Windows easy transfer for iTunes - Tenorshare iCareFone. This program is designed to transfer music (including purchased and non-purchased), videos and mobile applications in your iTunes library with an iPhone or iPod as the temporary storage.
- Open iTunes in your computer and connect an iOS device. Choose the contents you want to add and drag them to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- Download Tenorshare iCareFone and run it in your new computer. Unplug iPhone from the old PC and connect it to the new one. After being detected, click “File Manager” on the main interface.
- Choose “Music” and then the software will automatically list out all the songs. Tick those you need and click “Export” to save them in your new computer.
With the 3 methods mentioned above, all items in iTunes library can be transferred to new computer freely. If you still have any questions, please leave us a message in the comment part.