Once iPhone backup is encrypted with a password, you have to enter this password before you can restore the backup contents (including photos, text messages, contacts, messages, etc.) to iPhone. This protects personal information on your iPhone. However, if you find it troublesome to enter password every time you want to restore from iTunes backup, is there a way to remove iPhone backup password?
Provided you remember the password you set, you can remove iPhone backup password encryption directly from iTunes. If, unfortunately, you forgot the password, you will have to rely on the tool iPhone Backup Unlocker to find your iTunes backup password and then remove it from iTunes. For more details, keep reading the following parts.
Note: Solutions described in Part 1 and Part 2 apply to iPhone SE, 6s/6s Plus, 6/6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and other iPhone models.
Part 1: Remove iPhone Backup Password from iTunes if You Have the Password
As you can set password for iPhone backup through iTunes, you can remove iPhone backup password from iTunes as well. Just follow the steps below. If the password has been forgotten or you'd select an easier way, go to Part 2 which elaborates how to remove iPhone backup password with iPhone backup unlocker.
1. Delete any Mail Exchange accounts on the iPhone.
2. Delete old encrypted backups from iTunes.
3. Use iExplorer or ssh to delete the file /private/var/Keychains/Keychain-2.db from the iOS 10/9/8/7 file system. This will clear stored passwords from your device.
4. Restart your iPhone. Then connect iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
5. On the left hand column of the iTunes interface, find "Devices". Locate your iPhone, which will appear as the name you gave it. Uncheck the box next to Encrypt local backup.
6. Finally enter the password currently set on your iPhone when you see a popup window.
Part 2: Remove iPhone Backup Password with iPhone Backup Unlocker (When You Forgot the Password)
iPhone Backup Unlocker is a third party software that enables iOS device users to recover or remover forgotten iPhone backup password. It also provides an easier way to remove iPhone backup password than iTunes. Download it to your computer and use the tutorials to find the iTunes backup password for your iPhone.
1. After download and installation, run Tenorshare iPhone Backup Unlocker on your PC. To decrypt iTunes backup, what really matters is the file with extension manifest.plist.Click "Add" and then double click on the file you lost password from the drop-down box.
2. After importing the file you will see the below interface which shows you three types of attacks for cracking encrypted iPhone backups.
3. Click "Start" on the bottom of the interface, and the password will be displayed like the picture below, signifying that you have successfully cracked backup password for iPhone.
4. Again Click "Add" and the program will detect and find directory of the backup file automatically. Then click "Enter" button next to the file you want to remove password. Enter the password you just find for your encrypted backup file and click "Decrypt" to remove the password from your iPhone backup. Your unlocked backup file will be stored under: \My Documents\iTunesRecovery.
Added Info: iPhone Backup Unlocker not only works for iPhone, but also works for iPad and iPod. Feel free to use it if you forget iPad and iPod backup password. If you remember the password, you can just go to step 4 and remover the password by using this program without needing to do it from iTunes.